What to do with the kids after school?

I am so tired of hearing the kids saying "I m bored"
I tell them let's go study or practice on your school work, they're like NOOOO that is no fun.....What to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Talk to them, play games, watch something you all like, make crafts, bake a cake, do a project, sign up for some classes at the park, go to the library, take a walk......
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 4:24 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Get them supplies so they can be creative - crayons, markers, glitter, paints, papers, etc

take them to the park, library, drag them with you to run errands (they may actually learn to enjoy them - mine loves to go to the grocery store)

Get a few board games, pack of cards, etc they can play together

If you have a yard put the outdoor stuff out there and tell them to go out and play.

Make them sit down and read for 30-45 mins (you're the parent!)
    Anonymous

• My mother would say "If you're bored that means you are boring"......

Which still doesn't make all that much sense.

I say, make them clean under the sofa. That's why they are little anyway. Get down and scrub the baseboards - you want to be bored - I'll show you bored....
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 4:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I send mine outside and tell them to go play, use your imagination and get dirty. If they want to stay in the house with me, I'll put them to work. :)
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 4:47 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• We do school work first, then they can play on the computer or the playstation for a set amount of time. Then its up to them to occupy themselves. Some times we have playdates with the kids on our block for a bit before dinner. I do hear the "i'm bored" a lot, so I usually suggest an activity and help them set it up. We once had a monopoly game last for a week. We left it set up on the dining room table and played a bit each night. we never use the room to actually eat in.
    moebonner

Answer by moebonner at 10:25 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I think kids coming home from school need just a little 'breaktime' from school. I wouldn't like coming home from the office, and going straight to the dinning room table and opeing my breifcase. Heck no. I want some fun time! So I let my five year old play video games for 1/2 hour before his father gets home from work, and have them go play. Make a project, read to them, spend time w/ them. If you don't, one day you're going to miss them this age! Make use of every available minute you have to be interested in their live, and CREATE some fun.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 11:33 AM on Feb. 4, 2009