my sis is pregnant and shes taking vicaden for pain will that hurt the baby?

haycam12

Asked by haycam12 at 4:26 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it might she should talk to her doctor to make sure its safe during pregnancy
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 4:28 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Vicodin is a Class C drug, which means it is unknown if it causes harm to the fetus. She should have discussed this with her doctor, though. For the record, I take a medication that helps keep me alive, and it's also Class C. I've had 3 healthy babies.
    Anonymous

• If she is takeing it with her doc's permission then it is fine. i took vicodin throughout my first pregnancy for migraine headaches and my daughter is completly fine and normal. If her doc DOESN"T know that she is taking it, then that is a big problem.
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 4:31 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• i would tell her to talk to her dr about taking it its not recommended because they dont know for sure if it can hurt baby or not. she may want to find other ways of dealing with her pain.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:32 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My doctor prescribed me a low dose of vicadin and I'm pregnant. He said I can take it only in the second trimester for the extreme pain I have in my back and hip due to an injury. I didn't even take the whole script and only took a half a pill when needed. I think that he wouldn't have prescribed it if it wasn't safe.
    sunnygal27

Answer by sunnygal27 at 4:32 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• i dunno they told me to take tylenol 3 when i was prego with first baby after they pulled my tooth, but i just refuse to take any medicine unless i ABSOLUTELY have to (personal choice)because i just feel bad about even the slightest chance of it harming my baby(s) but i had a friend that was given morphine at the hospital and her baby is perfectly fine so i really have NO IDEA
    mamad86

Answer by mamad86 at 4:32 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My sister in law's doctor had her switch to demerol while she was pregnant.
    Anonymous

• I hear many that take it and get it from doctors while pregnant which to me is confusing since it is a strong drug and who knows what is could do or not do to a mother or fetus.
    I rather be safe than sorry and avoid it all together.
    That is for me but each circumstance is different and should be talked about with your doctor that knows your history.
    Good luck ~
    Baby1114

Answer by Baby1114 at 4:33 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• It depends on how much she takes a day. My doctor said small amounts are safe to take, but I have no idea if it's harmful for your sisters baby, she needs to ask her doctor.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 4:33 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• i was prescribed vicodin by my dr for my extreme gall bladder pain. i was diagnosed at 26 weeks and was given percocet which didnt work, then vicodin which didnt either, then again the same thing with dalaudid and finally they gave me vicodin extra strength. i try not to take anything but when it gets really bad theres not much i can do. i def dont go over the limit. and while in the hospital with an attack 2 weeks ago, i was given iv morphine and i asked all the drs about taking that and they said since i was close to being due, baby was already fully developed so it wouldnt be harmful. whatever happens to me on it happens to baby they said. which for me was just getting a little hyper.
    Anonymous