Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone know what I need to do to have my children's last name changed? My children are 2 weeks old and 4 years old.

Answer Question

Asked by 2asof2009 at 4:28 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (2)
  • call legal services, or even call a lawyer. Some give free consults on the phone or in person. Maybe even the courthouse in a call can tell you what you need.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

  • Depends on the state. Some states allow name changes on the birth certificate until the child reaches five years old with out a court order. Call the records clerk for the county your kids were born and find out how long the grace period for changing the birth certificate is. The two week old shouldn't be a problem, it's a little iffy on the 4 year old though.

    Answer by MomShawn70 at 4:39 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.