My 5 and 2 weeks old dd is obsessed watching us eat. She is exclusively breastfed on demand. Because of the interest and lack of tounge thrust reflex I mixed up some rice cereal and breastmilk and she ate a tbsp and wanted more. She didn't spit any out. Should I continue or is it too early?

She is over 27 inches long and weighs about 16 lbs and is very active. We cosleep and breastfeed on demand.

jabakasupergirl

Asked by jabakasupergirl at 6:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it's fine. My son was interested 'early' too. Every baby has their own timing.
    jenjosfirst

Answer by jenjosfirst at 6:15 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I had a hungry baby and was advised by a health professional that it was fine to wean on rice and bland cereal at 5 months. My strapping two year old is still eating his way through the food stores!!!
    estherWSM

Answer by estherWSM at 6:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I breastfed my last child for almost two years and I don't think at almost six months a single grain cereal is too much for her. Especially if she acts like she wants more or acts more hungry. If you find that the rice makes her a little constipated you can try the baby oatmeal too. My babies were all big eaters and my first one got cereal at six weeks because he was never satisfied and always wanted more. He would eat 8 to 12 oz. of formula and that was just to much at a time. He wasn't hurt by haveing cereal at that age. Your baby should be fine. If you give it to her in the evening and give her a little more don't be surprised if she sleeps longer than you expect. It's probally just that she is satisfied longer. Good Luck!
    Bebabydoll77

Answer by Bebabydoll77 at 6:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Zahrah started cereal at 5 months
    lilmomma92706

Answer by lilmomma92706 at 6:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I nursed. Loved it. Nothing like it. Wee ones get hungry they let you know and you feed them. If that is not enough you add fruits and other foods. What ever I cooked, i served it up to my wee ones. They eat so much junk food now. They love food. That is what you should be thinking about. Your wee one is up and ready tog o, so let and move on and allow the wee one to show you what's next!!!!
    mothoflove

Answer by mothoflove at 7:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• go for it
    katiesmom123

Answer by katiesmom123 at 7:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My daughter didn't start eating solids until she was 6 months, but she showed no interest! My middle son HAD to start on solids at 4 months because he couldn't get enough food from nursing alone... though it took him a lot of practice. My baby started eyeballing us, just as yours did, at the beginning of 5 months... No practice needed! Now at 8 months, he eats whatever I can squish up for him! lol- they are all different... just go with your gut and your little darlings hints!
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 8:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My Son started eating rice mixed with his formaula at like 3 wks. Because he was eating tons and never was full. So yea its perfectly alright.
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 9:45 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 9:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Your baby will let you know what is right for her. If she seems receptive, go for it. Be cautious about what you feed her considering some foods can increase risk of allergies and the like before about a year. And we were advised by our Dr. to wait 4 days between new foods to be aware of allergic reactions. The gerber brands and most other baby foods have a set system for the foods that babies can eat at each stage of development, so maybe look into some of those.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:33 AM on Jun. 20, 2008