Hair Stylists...two questions:

Do you believe that clarifying shampoo is a must?
Next, I'm having a heck of a time deciding on color. I'm a brunette with pinkish skin tone. As I age, I kinda think the blond highlights are better (but more damaging) at concealing new gray hairs at the temple but I like the brown too. Don't know what to do...blah. I hate getting old. Suggestions?

jeanclaudia

Asked by jeanclaudia at 8:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2012 in Beauty & Style

• they are good to use if: you swim a lot, use a lot of products, sweat/produce extra oils, work in polluted environments, or have well-water or other plumbing issues. if you are planning on using only demi/semi-permanent colors and want a 'fresh slate', you could use a clarifying shampoo..because those types only deposit, and its good to dispose of any barrier (oils, chemicals, etc) that would keep the demi/semi from staining well.
    i'd be weary of suggesting a color formula/plan for you without being able to see your hair. my idea of brunette and blond highlights is probably different that yours. if you have little grey, or its only in a few areas that concern you, i'd suggest going with partial coloring/highlighting (whatever colors you choose is up to you), rather than all-over coloring. its less commitment, less time-consuming, and less costly.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:56 PM on Jul. 16, 2012

• what dull said.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 12:09 AM on Jul. 17, 2012

• Thanks you guys...I take vitamins but am not on medication, nor do I use a ton of product but conditioner. Anyway, I was told I had to do the clarifying stuff as I get older. Not living in a polluted area nor do we have well water and don't swim or sweat a lot! Who knows...

Maybe I'll do the highlights. I've heard all over color, as you age, looks a little funny as our skin changes. I appreciate the feedback. Thx
    jeanclaudia

Comment by jeanclaudia (original poster) at 12:45 AM on Jul. 17, 2012