How do I approach this one

My husband keeps telling my SS that he needs to eat enough so he weighs 60 lbs by the time he is 6 so he doesn't need a booster seat. I think this is ridiculous to make the kid feel he has to weigh a certain amount by a certain date. DH is overweight and snacks all the time. I don't want SS to acquire this bad habit and eat more than he has to. What can I do to deal with this? (Don't say I'm the SM so I don't have to deal with this because it's not my place - I take care of my SS about 90% of the time.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Id gather as much information as you could about potential eating disorders and confront his dad with it and tell him you dont want to put SS at risk for them.

Answer by gemgem at 4:52 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I'd also gather info about what really matters when it comes to car seats. Weight is the least important factor. Height is the most important.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:57 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Smack DH on the back of the head for even putting that kind of pressure on a kid.

Holy smokes.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 4:58 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• A kid shouldn't have to worry about that kind of thing at this age. My gosh, why is it so important that he not sit in a booster. If it is for the child's safety then it shouldn't matter. I would gather the info on safety for the boosters as well as eating disorders and confront your DH about all of this.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:03 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Wimsey has one of the best solutions. Put a stop to the stupidity of this boys dad asap. Obeisety is on the rise and so many health risks follow closely behind.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 5:20 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• you probably do the cooking and clearing the table, just take the dishes away when you feel your SS has eaten enough. Do not buy snacks and only serve child sized portions. Also, totally ignore the husband. I do that when I can't get thru to mine. I explain myself to my kids why we are doing it my way when he is not around, then I stick to my guns.
    moebonner

Answer by moebonner at 10:17 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Tell your DH that that is stupid because the law says 6 yo OR 60 lbs!!!
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 6:31 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• every state law regarding booster is diffirent so check your DMV website, some is 6 or 60ibs and some is 6 and 60.
    marooo

Answer by marooo at 4:51 PM on Feb. 5, 2009