When do I convert my baby's bed?

angelpoet05

Asked by angelpoet05 at 5:07 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I kept my babies in their crib until they could climb out of it. Once they're in the big kid bed, you can kiss naptimes goodbye.
    imacafemom

Answer by imacafemom at 5:10 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• There are several guidelines - none of them are based on age.
    (1) Move the child when he starts to climb out so he doesn't fall and get hurt. This assumes the child will stay in an open bed and not climb the furniture instead - or go exploring the rest of the house in the middle of the night.
    (2) Find a way to prevent the climbing and keep the child in the crib until he is old enough to respect an open bed, to not climb the furniture, and to not destroy the house at 3am. While kids can get hurt falling from a crib, they can also get hurt when you are sound asleep and they are bored and exploring. Baby proofing only works if you are there to put a stop to something danagerous.
    (3) Find a way to prevent the climbing and keep the child in the crib until he reaches the weight limits of the crib.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:25 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• There is no easy answer for this question. In most cases when they can climb out they should be moved. With my daugther we had her in a crib till she was one and a half and then she started climbing out of it. When we turned it into a daybed looking thing she wouldnt sleep in it. She would either end up in bed with us or on the couch. So we took the next step and moved her to a bigger bed and for some reason that worked. She sleeps soundly in a twin size bed with dora covers :) Most people seem to think that its a crazy idea especially when they see this tiny person sleeping on such a big bed for her but my theory is if it works who cares.
    leigh_christi

Answer by leigh_christi at 6:24 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• It is up to how comfortable you are with it. I put my DD in a toddler bed at 16 months. For many reasons. But for the first few nights we had a small problem with going to bed but not again until recently at 2 1/2 when she learned to open her door.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 7:29 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I put my son in his toddler bed at 2... He had never climbed out of his crib but I thought it was time for him... and he LOVED it!! He is a big boy now!! ONLY THING.... CHILDPROOF THEIR WHOLE ROOM!!!!!
    aydens_mama

Answer by aydens_mama at 12:32 PM on Feb. 3, 2009