Is a good husband just as important as a good dad?

My husband and I mutually split... he is an awesome dad by far... but as a husband, he just never really has been right. Yeah, I married him as a loser and an immature idiot with no job, how am I suppose to deal with it... I need some advice....

Arielsmommy507

Asked by Arielsmommy507 at 5:12 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• Yes being a good husband is just as important. What are you going to be left with when your child is grown? being a good dad is not enough for a good marriage. Dont get me wrong its great he a good dad but..... like i said what is the relationship going to be like when your child is no longer in the home? you are important too! best of luck to you!
    GRAM1976

Answer by GRAM1976 at 5:19 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• What do you mean deal with it? You are no longer with him. If it didn't work then it didn't work. Yes a good husband is as important as a good dad.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:19 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Yes a good husband is just as important - especially if you have a little boy - he will see how he treats his women..
    Anonymous

• ohh thats a hard one. I think it starts with your attitude towards him. I know for my husband he's a hard worker, but we have had some marital problems and he feels very inadequite as a dad. I think that he is really growing in these area and that I have played a huge role in it...... by encouraging him and praising his good efforts. Before I was getting so frustrated and feeling like he was a horrible dad. The less confidence he had the harder it was for him to be good in these areas. So.... deal with it by encrouraging him.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 5:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Believe it or not, sometimes you just have to teach them the right way. Whatever way you want him to be a husband, show him. It may have started at home for him growing up and he doesn't know how to be a good husband
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 5:56 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Your children deserve a dad, and if he is a good one, you should stick with him. He is, after all, the man you chose to be the father of your children. Besides that, men can be taught to be good husbands. Most of them have had terrible examples of husband/wife unions, but they can learn. The wife has many tools to make her man into the husband of her dreams. The sad thing is most women don't have a clue what those tools are. Instead, they believed the lie about the "happily ever after."
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:15 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• so then, NannyB, what are these tools? If you are so sure, then share your secrets. I am sure we would all LOVE to hear what they are!
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 7:47 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Being a good husband is important for the family dynamics bc he needs to set an example of how to be a good husband as an example for his sons and a role model of what his daughters need to see in a future husband. It's not just about that he plays with the kids and is a caring father. His role as husband is vital for training the kids and help them find (or be) a great husband and find their own happiness. Plus, if he's not a good husband then he's not loving and respecting their mom. That's never good. He just makes mom unhappy and the kids see that too.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:26 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• ABSOULTELY. As I tell my husband, The kids will grow up and leave but we are stuck together, and no you cannot expect him to change just cause you are married.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 9:33 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• You know what he was when you got pregnant and married him. Why try to change him now?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:00 AM on Feb. 3, 2009