My son is 16 weeks old and I need to know if it's possible that he said his first word? When he's angry or upset, he says "ma-ma-ma" repeatedly but amongst other sounds. Sometimes when he's doing this (if someone else is holding him) he leans or reaches for me? Is it possible he comprehends me as mom or is it simply a repetitive sound that he favors?

gagesmommy1017

Asked by gagesmommy1017 at 5:21 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when my son was 3 months old he said plain as day "nana" over a week time he said it about 4 times maybe, he hasnt said it since then either, but it meant so much to his nana which is hubby grandmother......so maybe it wasnt his true 1st word but its in the baby book and a fond memory that one day he will cherish..

you seem very happy with the fact that he has said mamama then let your heart lead the way, honey he said MAMA!!!!!!!!!!!
    enjoy the moment!!!
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 5:52 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I think he recognizes you as mom. For sure, that's something they grasp from birth. It's entirely possible that his "mamama" sound is him saying mama.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:25 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I think all kids babble the mamama sound at that age. I don't know of a child that hasn't. It's just babbling...I don't think he is really calling you Mama.
    Anonymous

• Teacher here:

NOPE he is not saying mama for you, he DOES of course recognize your face and knows that you take care of him.

But the word mama has NO meaning yet. Sorry ;(

But It causes no harm in letting yourself belive he is saying mama !!! ;)
    Anonymous

• my daughter does it to she's five months old today and i totally believe she's calling me mama (or mom mom as she says it) if we're laying together and I doze off(no we don't sleep in the same bed) she'll cry mom mom until i open my eyes again. that's the only time she does it so i think she knows what she's doing.

e.bree

Answer by e.bree at 5:36 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I highly doubt he knows to call you mom or if he calls you mama that you'll come. He's too young. Maybe around 8 months.
    Anonymous

• HE SAID MAMA THATS ALL THAT MATTERS
    Anonymous

• I AGRRE... hahaha... he says ma-ma-ma.... that all that matters....my girl did around that age too and she only did it when i was in the room or if she wanted mee.... if someone else picked her up for me she rould rech into my direction and say it again... dont let people mess up the moment for you... lols... he said it... hahaha
    Dayna-Marie

Answer by Dayna-Marie at 7:00 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• my son started saying ma-ma-ma at about 6 1/2 months. its possible! dont let anyone tell you different. he knows who you are!!!
    softbalchic2004

Answer by softbalchic2004 at 9:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2009