I'm so frustrated with weight loss...

I've been seriously trying to lose weight for a few months now (end of April). I've fell off the bandwagon a few times but always jumped back on within a week. I've stopped eating as much junk and started walking 2 miles a day, 5 days a week. My starting weight was 217, I've only gotten as low as 212. For the past 2 weeks I've been very dedicated, eating NO fast food, walking every day except Saturday and Sunday, eating fresh veggies, whole grains, etc. I started at 215, yesterday I was 212, today I am 214. I don't know why I'm not losing ANYTHING. I'm so frustrated. I didn't expect to have lost a significant amount by this point but every time I lose 1lb I gain 2 back. The doctor is no help, only saying she'd refer me to a weight loss specialist that is not covered by my insurance and blaming it on my eating habits and lack of exercise, both of which I've changed. I've only just turned 25 so this should be a bit easier, right? Any advice/not bashing tips would be great.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Jul. 17, 2012 in Diet & Fitness

• if you are getting fit at the same time, you are building some muscle - and muscle weighs more than fat. a better way to measure loss is to measure various areas - around your upper arms, stomach, hips, chest, thighs, etc, and re-measure every month. i have the same problem - the weight hardly budges but i lose a pants size and my bras get loose. and as for day-do-day fluctuations, how much water you are retaining, if you have had a bowel movement, a lot of "little" things can affect that day to day. that is why i only weigh once a week, so i do not get so frustrated. good luck!
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 11:30 AM on Jul. 17, 2012

• Home scales are notorious liars... I'd stop weighing and just keep up the activity and the way you're eating. Check out Weight Watchers too... I believe there's a special underway right now.

I can step on my scale and get THREE different weights within five minutes; that's been the case with every single scale we've ever owned. I know I'm not magically beaming the weight away and back, and all I'm doing is stepping on and off the scale!

So I've rotated toward the "how do the clothes fit" method. I know I'm doing well when clothes start getting looser.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:33 AM on Jul. 17, 2012

• Weighing once a week is good advice. It's frustrating to see it fluctuate daily even though I always weight myself at the same time each day right when I get back. I have not lost even a pants size thought. Some days I think my jeans fit more losely but others they don't. And I drink a ton of tea so if I'm retaining water I'm also contstantly using the bathroom (at least 5 times within a 10 hour period).
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:35 AM on Jul. 17, 2012

• Well not really a ton, at least 2 cups a day, sometimes up to 4 or 5 if I have iced tea with dinner.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:39 AM on Jul. 17, 2012

• have you measured to see if you have lost any inches?
    drinking water?
    how many calories do you generally eat a day?
    are you using weights at all- or doing anything for toning?

I started in mid Feb and only down 20 lbs so far. I have been stuck again for about 3-4 weeks at 219 - I do zumba 4-5 days a week for an hour a pop- pilates here and there and use 3lb weights and dvd's at home on days I'm not zumba-ing. When I raised my calories some, I started losing a little after being stuck. I only get on a scale about every 7-10 days and believe me- it IS frustrating, but NOTHING will stop me this time. I jsut keep on going. I know I'm in better shape now than 4 months ago so that's a plus-even if the lbs are S L O W to come off. I have decided I need to get a fitbit and an HRM so I know exactly how many calories I burn-both all day and during Zumba. I wonder if I need to up my calories by a bit more... hang in there
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:56 AM on Jul. 17, 2012

• there is a healthy weight loss group here that is really supportive- and full of good info
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:58 AM on Jul. 17, 2012

• surely you didn't gain all the weight in a matter of weeks... give yourself a break! your body needs time to adjust to your healthier habits. stick with it!! one of my sister's tips when she lost a bunch of weight was do not drink any of your calories... water only.

i found a few things to be very helpful... i started eating healthier just to be healthy (i had given up on trying to lose weight) and was taking digestive enzymes. these help your body get more nutrients out of the food you eat without stressing your organs (as with taking a pill multivitamin). i felt a thousand times better. also, i found that avoiding foods I am allergic to (you will not notice if you have been eating them for years) helped more than anything. i am allergic to wheat and dairy and when i eat them on a regular basis i do not lose weight and have low energy. however, if i stop them for a while (a week or two) and then have some...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:46 PM on Jul. 17, 2012

• ... i feel like i have been run over by a truck... headache, body ache, etc. if you have food allergies you are not aware of and eat them regularly your endocrine system is busy with allergies instead of digestion, which can lead to problems with weight loss as well as hormonal imbalances. dairy in general is not very beneficial (don't believe the hype!! there is more calcium in some dark greens). at the particular time i referred to above i also drank an antioxidant juice (just a "shot" or two a day) - there are many supplements and juices out there. some are quality some are not. I can direct you to one brand I am loyal to after much investigation and give you more information on any of what i'm saying if needed rather than hijacking your post.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:50 PM on Jul. 17, 2012

• If your tea is sweetened it is extra calories. Don't drink your calories. Make sure you are drinking a minimum of 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water EVERYDAY! (tea, juice, coffee, etc. doesn't count).
    Cut out ALL fast food - every bit of it! Cut way back and/or get rid of all processed sugar in your diet. That means you read the label. Completely get rid of corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup - this will help significantly.
    Fitness happens in the gym (or on the pavement - walking, running, exercise). Weightloss happens in the kitchen.

Since you are anonymous, can you give me a play by play of what you ate yesterday? Include anything that passes your lips - all beverages, all bites of your toddlers food, the crust you ate off their sandwiches, everything including that one m&m that got away and you ate and that sip of their juice box so they didn't spill it
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 2:25 PM on Jul. 17, 2012

• also, when you weigh (which should be once a week at most), make sure you weigh first thing in the morning after you empty your bladder and weigh naked
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 2:27 PM on Jul. 17, 2012