How do you all feel about baby-leashes? or tethers - I'm not sure what to call them

I'm thinking about getting a baby-tether/harness for an impending trip to Scotland....he's almost 2 and is everywhere! Does anyone have any suggestions?

lakecat

Asked by lakecat at 5:51 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i have friends who think its wrong but i dont!!! they'll learn quick not to run off
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 5:54 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I approve. It is a good way to make sure the toddler doesn't dash quickly out of your sight when you are shopping. I still remember the sinking feeling that I had when my son vanished in a shopping mall. I thought my husband had him and thought I did. Thank goodness a kind lady found him and brought him back, she must have identified me as the parent because of the desperate look on my face. It isn't something I would want to experience again. So by all means do whatever it takes to keep the child close by and in your sight.

Answer by Bmat at 5:56 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• i would get the wrist kind, you can buy them at babies r us
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 5:59 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Great idea for travel - also you should write your last name and cell phone number on his leg. Really.

Have a grand time!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 5:59 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I love them! I had two early walkers (9 mo) who were only 16 months apart. I think the leashes saved everyones lives.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 6:09 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• They make some that are like a little backpack with the harness attached to it. I think that they are by Eddie Bauer. We have one and I plan on using it when my DD starts to walk. I got it from my sister who never used it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• thye have some at walmart that look like animals,we have the monkey one.They are backpacks with a littlew pocket on the animal and the tail is the leash part..They are only $12 and worth it.
    Lindasmama

Answer by Lindasmama at 6:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I get complements anytime I take out the harness. It looks like a monkey backpack with the tail as the "leash" part. Most people don't have a problem with the fact b/c I also usually have a baby on my hip. But I love the darn thing especially in public.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 7:24 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I have one that looks like a puppy dog. People do give me strange looks when I use it, but alteast my child is staying safe! I use it when we go places that tend to have a ton of people, like the airport, theme parks, and sometimes the mall. It makes me feel better knowing my son can't get away from me.
    bridgetkay

Answer by bridgetkay at 7:25 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I hate them and think they are horrible. To each their own though. I just couldn't ever put my kid on a leash.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 7:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2009