Tent camping

We just got back Sunday night from spending 4 nights up in the mountains camping. We had a great time, and are currently planning our next camping trip for August 1st-5th. We've pretty much exhausted the typical grilled camp dinners - ribs, burgers, hot dogs, steaks, grilled chicken, so those aren't appealing for the menu we're trying to plan.

What are some of your favorite camp meals, breakfast included? I have access to the fire with a grate and a propane stove. I'm half tempted to get an ac adapter for the car, and take along my crockpot, but I'm not sure how well that would cook.

Ideas?

Ginger0104

Asked by Ginger0104 at 2:18 PM on Jul. 17, 2012 in Travel

• Get a big, heavy, cast iron dutch oven. You can do wonderful things in it. :) My favorite breakfast is scrambled potatoes. You fry up bacon. Then remove it and put it aside (break into little pieces). Pour a can of sliced, white potatoes into the pot. Let them cook a few minutes and then pour in eggs and your crumbled bacon. Serve when the eggs are cooked through (like scrambled eggs)

Stew is also great in a dutch over over a camp fire. I'd have to dig up that recipe though.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:31 PM on Jul. 17, 2012

• I have a fun camp dessert idea we like to use called Banana Boats.

Slice bananas with peel on down the middle long ways all the way to (but not through) the back peel. Insert mini marshmallows (or pieces of bigger ones) and Hershey's chocolate bar pieces. Squish back together as much as possible and wrap in aluminum foil. Throw over fire for a few minutes until hot and chocolate and marshmallows melt. Soooooo yummy! :) (Best with ripe bananas)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 2:56 PM on Jul. 17, 2012

• I agree with the above ^ or you could go redneck and shoot squirrels and BBQ them. Just a thought. *grins*
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:43 PM on Jul. 17, 2012