Scaly patch on 3 year old's head

My son has a patch of scaly skin on the top of his head in his hair. It looks a lot like cradle cap, but like I said, he is almost 3. It doesn't seem to itch or otherwise bother him. Should I treat it like cradle cap or is it worth a call to the doctor? Any suggestions?

hootie826

Asked by hootie826 at 3:32 PM on Jul. 17, 2012 in Kids' Health

• My DS had psoriasis on the scalp in patched until he was 4 ish... I was told to spot wash it carefully with head and shoulders shampoo. I would consult your doctor before you did anything like that though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:37 PM on Jul. 17, 2012

• Is it yellow and scaly? It's probably seborrheic dermatitis. You can use a dandruff shampoo. I prefer to use (on my daughter) tea tree oil. I dab it on with a qtip, get the scales loosened and them comb them off. Treat again with tea tree oil and it doesn't come back unless it's persistant. I have persistant seborrhea, so I use a lot of tea tree oil.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:14 PM on Jul. 31, 2012