• In the Spotlight:

Hawaii?

I really want to plan a family vacation to Hawaii. We don't have alot of extra money but, we have been saving what we do have. We have never taken a vaction before and this will probably be the only one we take for a looooong time. So, I just wanted to make this one as fun as possible. I was wondering if any of you moms have been there and could give my some tips on the best and worst places to stay, things to do and stuff like that .Thank you so much!

steph801

Asked by steph801 at 6:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I've been to Oahu several times...my son was stationed at Pearl Harbor. I'd be happy to make some suggestions..feel free to PM me.
    giggles483

Answer by giggles483 at 6:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I've been twice and it was a magical experience. Only my husband and I went, though, not with children. A place that you shouldn't miss is the Polynesian Center on northern Oahu. You can buy tickets that include the bus trip, with commentary about the sights by the driver, entrance to the center, and the show, and a couple choices of meals- either buffet or luau style. The show is the best I've ever seen of Hawaiian dance. Another experience that I'd do again in a second is a circle tour of the Big Island (Hawaii). The bus takes you through like 5 climates. Fascinating. Talk with your travel agent and search online for information and suggestions for good prices. They'll also have information for what children would like.

Answer by Bmat at 6:45 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• go to the Polyneasean (sp) cultural center in Honolulu!! its historically accurate & tells you about the Polyneasean (sp) culture & also about the surrounding islands. BUT its super fun! you can get hena tattos & learn how to hula dance! http://www.polynesia.com/

also, there you can visit the USS Arizona memorial (pearl harbor). they built a memorial on top of the sucken ship, but you can still see parts of it under the water. there is also a battleship you can tour. its a little boring, but its great for learning!

i dont know anything about prices tho, b/c i was in 10th grade when i went. and we stayed in a military only hotel, so im not help there either.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:48 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• We were stationed there years ago. We were on Oahu. We liked Paradise Cove. Also, don't go to a luau in Wakiki. We went to one, I think it was Germaines. That one was good. The one in Wakiki wasn't. North Shore is fun, especially in the winter time. The waves are higher then. They have an cultural center run by Brigham Young (Momon). That was fun. Wiamah(sp) Falls was fun. If you come across anyone there in the military, ask them.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 6:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• you can also hike a not active volcano. i think its called mt Diamond...but it could be a really big hike for if your kids are little
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• We went for our honeymoon, also not a lot of money. W/o a lot of money, it's just a big beach. My advice is to make sure you save up A LOT of money for activities. I went 10 years ago, so you know it's only more expensive now.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:05 PM on Feb. 2, 2009