Do you ever pay attention to how the person in front of you pays for their groceries?

Me neither! Unless they are writing a check, I don't pay attention, nor is it my business. So why do most people insist that those who pay for groceries using food stamps is their business? It isn't! Unless I specifically involve you in my transaction with the cashier, the way I pay for my groceries is none of your concern.

Sorry I had to vent. Someone made a comment about me using food stamps and it ticked me off a little bit.

Gin_Sins

Asked by Gin_Sins at 2:38 AM on Jul. 18, 2012 in Shopping

• Nope, it's not their business at all. They could be using a credit card and that's just as bad in the "that's not your money" argument. Well too bad, hungry people eat in this country and they pay taxes too. Good job getting food for your family.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:41 AM on Jul. 18, 2012

• No. I sometimes get annoyed with the person who waits til the last second to get out her checkbook, write the check, balance her checkbook, and then fish for ID. Usually, I go back to my magazine. I'm definitely not up in their biz. The only thing I notice is the card is scanned different. I really don't care though. Nobody is immune to hard times.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:59 AM on Jul. 18, 2012

• It's absolutely none of anybody's business how you pay for your groceries. Be strong in that knowledge and ignore anyone who tries to look down on you or give you a hard time. We live in the richest country on the planet; we pay for our citizens to eat instead of letting them go hungry in the streets. Most people are only a paycheck or two away from food stamps themselves.

I've used food stamps a couple of times over the years, and I've learned that the only way to keep your dignity is to get a thick skin. I actually started imagining a "Whatever" button that I could visualize myself pushing when somebody decided to be stupid and say I shouldn't buy canned peaches with their tax money because peaches were too much like dessert. It was either tell them to stuff their opinion where it would do the most good, or push the "Whatever" button. So the button it was--easy to install, always there to push when necessary!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:00 AM on Jul. 18, 2012

• It's not. I think it is a lot nicer now that it is a card and not the paper stamps. It makes it a bit less obvious.

BUT, I have experienced some people who actually brag about it. About four months ago,one woman in front of me had a bunch of cash in her wallet and she had it half sticking out. She actually looked at her friend that was with her and said quite loudly "New car, new shoes, all this cash without a job and I get my food for free. Suckers!!" Her and her friend laughed hysterically. Not sure what that was about, but I just kept my mouth shut.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:36 AM on Jul. 18, 2012

• Nope, I'm usually too busy loading my stuff on the conveyor belt to notice. And even if I did, I'm not one to judge. I was there before. Back when they looked like monopoly $. Hope I don't need to use them again, but wouldn't feel ashamed if I did, b/c I would be making sure my family was fed. What does bug me is when parents let their kids fill up on junk food at the carry-out by giving them the EBT card. An occasional treat is fine, but come on. :/

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:17 AM on Jul. 18, 2012

• No I am usually either dealing with my children or putting my own stuff on the belt, I could careless how someone else is paying, not my business and I try not to involve myself in others business if I can help it.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 7:20 AM on Jul. 18, 2012

• Normally I am putting my stuff on the belt or texting my hubby and not paying attention to the person in front of me UNLESS they are holding up the line.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:28 AM on Jul. 18, 2012

• Nope, a card is a card to me who cares what kind.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 7:41 AM on Jul. 18, 2012

• Actually, I do. Not to be judgmental, but to wonder if the person in front of me is going to hold me up something fierce. I hate checks. Old people with credit cards usually take way too long. I'm not sure how exactly our state's food stamp program works, but some people come through with something like a check-list and the cashier has to check things off (or she does SOMETHING to it, it's just my assumption that she's checking things off)...that literally takes FOREVER. If that happens, best for me to load my cart back up and go to a new line.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:42 AM on Jul. 18, 2012

• Honestly I usually do because I'm utterly bored and just watch the person in front of me lol... Even if you didn't watch our oodstamp cards are blazingly bright. They're bright green and in neon yellow say access across them.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 7:44 AM on Jul. 18, 2012