Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i got a friend that is wanting me to adopted her baby but cant afford a lawyer what can i do about adopting it

Answer Question

Asked by sconolley1981 at 2:52 AM on Jul. 18, 2012 in Adoption

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • Cafe Robin wrote at 8:52 AM on Jul. 18 , 2012


    Answer by winterglow at 6:23 AM on Jul. 18, 2012

  • If you can't afford the lawyer I would not adopt this baby. Call around to different adoption agencies and ask if they have any lawyers that can work with you. Call some law offices on your own that specialize in family law. Bottom line if you want to adopt this baby you need to get a lawyer.


    Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:33 AM on Jul. 18, 2012

  • I'm pretty much stuck on the fact that if you can't afford a lawyer, how can you afford a baby...?

    There is no way you can adopt without a lawyer. Whether you go through an agency or the county or wherever, a lawyer is still involved.

    Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:44 AM on Jul. 18, 2012

  • I read this

    Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 7:47 AM on Jul. 18, 2012

  • Look up your state legal assistance. Adoption is typically on the list of pro bono cases they accept.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 8:40 AM on Jul. 18, 2012

  • I really think it is nice of your friend to want you to have her child, but it might be better that she looks for an outside party to adopt, this could cause major problems with your friendship, and the baby might be better off with a couple who can afford to take care of him/her.

    Answer by kimigogo at 9:19 AM on Jul. 18, 2012

  • You don't adopt a child without following the legal process. The legal process involves lawyers.
    welcome to cafe mom.

    Answer by meooma at 10:26 AM on Jul. 18, 2012

  • I agree with cafe robin.......why are u calling the precious baby "IT"?!?!?!

    Answer by mommyjenn29 at 9:28 AM on Jul. 20, 2012

  • You have to have an attorney. Also a child is very expensive maybe she should consider private adoption with the stipulation that she receive updates. If you cannot afford an attorney how will you afford medical care, insurance, daycare, school, college?

    Answer by booklover545 at 3:18 PM on Jul. 22, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.