My 10-year-old daughter's hair is so oily

She takes a shower at night and in the morning, it's oily looking on top. Have you dealt with this? I know she's probably heading down the puberty road, but her hair is blonde and very long and when it looks dirty on top I think it looks bad.

marihand

Asked by marihand at 7:05 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• ok my sd hair does the same thing..but hers is brown..get her to strip her hair once a week with baking soda and shampoo...then on the mornings it looks dirty take a little baby powder and sprinkle in the top or wherever its oily and brush it through and whhhallla oily apperance is gone i promise this works my sd uses this all the time
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• when i was that young and in my teens my hair was that oily and u hated it it still gets that way if i dont wash it atleast every other day the only thing i can say id try vo5 my dad uses it and it works for his
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 7:07 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Does she use a clarifying shampoo. If you go to a beauty supply store you can find oil absorbing sprays..for touch ups.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 7:08 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• If she washes her hair all by herself, then maybe she is not scrubbing her scalp well enough.

My SIL scrubs her hair for her because she does that.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:09 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My husband has this problem and he uses Pantene Clarifying....and he has really oily hair.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 7:09 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Check what kind of shampoo she is using. For me I have the long blonde hair as well and my hair gets very greasey if I use the wrong kind of shampoo. Pantene always made my hair 10 times worse in terms of grease. Right now I use Aussie. I suggest trying that and restricting yourself to only washing her hair once a day. Washing it multiple times a day could be causing her scalp to produce more grease in refex to keep it from drying out.
    NewMum2007

Answer by NewMum2007 at 9:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• She needs to not wash so often and use a more exspensive shampoo. I too was having this problem also a blonde. I figured out my townhouse has HARD water which is my main problem, and I was using all the nice smelling, make your hair incredibly soft shampoo's/conditioners. I switched to a salon shampoo (I 'm not the type to shell out big bucks for this stuff either) and walaaaaaaa..... my hair is so much better. The more you wash, your scalp will think it needs to create oil to replace what you've washed away you need to trick your scalp to slow down on oil production.
    2girlsMom.MN

Answer by 2girlsMom.MN at 11:33 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I too have super oily hair and skin. I still battle acne at 30 years old. I use Suave naturals. No conditioner. Suave dries my hair out. I do have to wash it daily. If I don't it is oiled down to my head and I break out. My two older boys have the same issues and we have been going to a dermatologist. She gave them some prescription strength stuff that works great for their breakouts.   

momfourboys

Answer by momfourboys at 12:40 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Has she tried a shampoo for oily hair? And why not skip the evening shampoo? Do you think she might not be really getting the hair saturated with the shampoo to the scalp and then not rinsing it completely? The "oil" could be partially unrinsed shampoo or incomplete washing.... Try washing her hair for her and see if it is any less oily. If not, then get a good shampoo for oily hair and teach her to wash and rinse thoroughly..... If she has fine, light colored hair the oiliness will show more.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:56 AM on Feb. 4, 2009