Adult step daughter drives me insane!

My 28 year old step daughter lives with her father and I. She pays no rent does not work she sits around and is lazy I have had enough I am going to discuss with my husband that I want her out if she is not willing to work and pay rent is this fair?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Jul. 18, 2012 in Adult Children (18+)

• Absolutely!! When my boys graduated from high school they had a choice, they either had to be in school full time, or working full time, they're now adults, and it's our job to teach them how to stand on their own two feet. If they chose not to go to school, they had to pay a token amount of 'rent'.

We finally kicked our oldest out when he was 20 because he wasn't doing either. He's learned to work and support himself. The younger two have both gone to school and worked since graduation.

Her father needs to make her stand up and be an adult, be productive, otherwise, what's the point to her life?
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:17 PM on Jul. 18, 2012

• I think its fair. She is an adult and needs to be treated as an adult. Tell her to get a job and pay rent or get out.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:17 PM on Jul. 18, 2012

• I don't agree with charging your children rent... that defeats the purpose of letting them live at home. But she should be working to support herself in every other way.... nothing wrong with that!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:46 PM on Jul. 18, 2012

• crafty she is 28 she should be paying rent and buying her own groceries shes an adult.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:50 PM on Jul. 18, 2012

• Welcome back
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 1:16 PM on Jul. 18, 2012

• i feel for you in the same boat but its hard to disscuss with you partner
    ceterpaple

Answer by ceterpaple at 7:27 PM on Jul. 18, 2012

• I don't think I'd be expecting her to pay rent because, in my book, she should no longer be living with her parents at age 28. She needs to pack her things and find somewhere on her own. Time she learned to stand on her own two feet. The longer she stays with you the less likely that becomes. Allowing her to stay is NOT doing her a favour.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 6:16 AM on Jul. 19, 2012

• It is fair and right. However this is you husbnd's child and he may not agree.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:53 PM on Jul. 20, 2012

• .
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:12 PM on Aug. 6, 2012