How much did your family contribute to the $115 billion?!

* In 2008, Americans spent about $115 billion on fast food, more than they spent on higher education, personal computers or new cars.

* Americans spend about half of their food budget on meals and drinks consumed outside the home.

Wow! When I heard this I had to think about how much my family contributed to that amt. More than we should have that's for sure! Esp. during softball season when things get really hectic. They count Subway as fast food tho, so of all the places, that one's better than the rest in my book! :p

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 1:36 PM on Jul. 18, 2012 in Food & Drink

• We only eat out an average of once per week. It's usually Sat. or Sun dinner out. Sundays during the school year we have pizza for lunch. That's it.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 3:28 PM on Jul. 18, 2012

• my family? Not much. We are to broke to eat out! lol. It's a once a month MAYBE twice kinda thing and even then it is pick up burgers and pack drinks and fruit...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:41 PM on Jul. 18, 2012

• We eat fast food wayyyyy too much! We're on the road a lot.
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 1:59 PM on Jul. 18, 2012

• We don't eat fast food often, unless we are on the road. And even then, we are vegetarian, so it tends to be moderately healthy. When we are home we try to stay away from eating out unless it's a nicer restaurant.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:06 PM on Jul. 18, 2012

• a LOT. fast food = not as much and not usually "meals". if we've got a long drive we'll go thru mc d's and get apples and milk and things like that. same price as gas station snacks, but FASTER and a bit healthier

we do eat out a lot though. we enjoy it when we can. a VERY fancy place 1 or 2 times a year and once we grilled kobe ribeyes at home that cost more than I earn in a week and we had to special order a month ahead. we cook a lot of huge meals, though. an enormous turkey and eat off it all week, etc etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:45 PM on Jul. 18, 2012

• We don't eat much fast food.Mostly after LAX games the guys will pick place to eat.

I think fast food is expensive for what you get.We do go out about once a week to a sit down restaurant as a family and often go to breakfast or our club's buffet after Sunday school.

I prefer to stop at a Mediterranean deli near us ... a whole rotisserie  chicken ,roasted red potatoes ,grilled veggies for all of us for 15 with enough chicken left over for my teens sandwiches the next day at school.They also have carrot lentil stew for 5 a quart ,veggies to the side ,fresh pita and feta for 12 .This is where I shop for take out. ; )

drfink

Answer by drfink at 2:04 PM on Jul. 18, 2012

• Probably $50 a year and that's being generous. I'd rather not eat at fast food 4 or 5 times and take that money and go to a good restaurant

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 2:12 PM on Jul. 18, 2012

• Just to guess... probably $40-50 a month in 2008. We hadn't yet cut back on fast food, and my kids were younger so it wasn't as pricy. It wasn't uncommon to eat fast food once a week. Now we're lucky if we eat it once a month.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:22 PM on Jul. 18, 2012

• Not very much, at the most fast food once a month.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:27 PM on Jul. 18, 2012

• I was just going through my tax files.
    In 2008, we spent $2170.65 on fast food. That doesn't include expensive meals out though. I just have the ones saved that we had on the go.
    In 2009 that number was $2586.11
    In 2010, it was $3339.05.
    2011, it was 2679.91.
    We're at $930.95 so far this year.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:45 PM on Jul. 18, 2012