I am a mother of 3 boys 9,6 & 3. I am having the hardest time getting him to go to school in the mornings he will throw a fit how can i stop it?

His father & i r no longer together & my hubby is gone during the week so i am the only one to deal with him he is missing alot of school due to this & he says its because he doesnt get to play in school any more, his teacher says he is fine but she will keep a closer eye on him. I am getting very frustrated with this so any advice will help Thank You!!!!

lisajellybean

Asked by lisajellybean at 7:14 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Him? You didn't say the age of the one doin this. I'm assuming the 6yo...

I would tell him, a fit in the morning, he loses something at night after school - computer or tv time, goes to bed early, and an extra task to do that he normally doesn't do.
    Anonymous

• Oh - before the punishing find out if there is a REASON he doesn't want to go. Maybe something is happening that makes him not want to go. But if he's just doing it "because he doesn't want to" then on to the lost privileges.
    Anonymous

• He is 6. I did ask him why he is throwing fits & why he doesnt wanna go n he had the same answer for both me n my mom because he cant play anymore at school
    lisajellybean

Answer by lisajellybean at 8:08 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• there is something else there other then not getting to play......is he he getting picked on by other kids? is he having trouble seeing things and just doesnt want anyone to find out? is he having trouble in any of the areas of study or could he be having problems concentrating? there are multiple reasons for why a kid doesnt want to go. I would just try to talk to him as much as possible and see what he says. it might be as simple as maybe when he is home he gets to spend time with you.
    lindze0226

Answer by lindze0226 at 8:09 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• my son is having the same problem. I think it is because the kids at school are picking on him. Is your son quite? Mine is and he has problems making friends. He makes every excuse not to go. Also if there are problems at home that can affect him to. me and my husband have been going through a rough time and it is affecting my son. Good luck.
    zachysmommy04

Answer by zachysmommy04 at 9:02 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Get him up extra early and spend time with him and tell him after this you are going to go to school if you don't go to school mommy might have to go to jail and who will take care of you, so I need you to be a big boy and go to school.  boy kissing mom

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:11 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• School isn't an option. I suggest starting a routine at night and in the morning and sticking to it. School should be something that they expect to attend each and every day at this age. Is there another reason why he doesn't want to go? Not being able to play isn't good enough.

My 5 year old stresses me out each and every morning but he has never been late to school, nor I to work. I don't play that.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 11:30 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I think that when there is a sudden change in behavior, more often than not, there is a reason for it, I would suspect there is a bully and bullies can be very persuasive using fear in keeping their victim quite. As I said, there is a reason for everything, and there has to a reason for his sudden change in going to school. The teacher has a lot of kids to watch and threats from a bully can be very subtle and hard to detect. Make sure he is not afraid to stand up for himself. School bullies are a common thing in school, and timid children are easy victims! I think It is easy in trying to raise well behaved, nonviolent children to make them susceptible to other more aggressive kids. It is not right, but unfortunately that's the way it is. I understand your frustration, just make he does not have to contend with two bullies, you and the one at school. I understand your frustration, but no one said raising kids was easy.
    KLind771

Answer by KLind771 at 12:15 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I tell my kids its the law and they have to go or the police will come and make them and mommy will get in trouble. Its the truth.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 2:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2009