Any moms out there who have gestational diabetes?

If so, how are you taking care of it? What kinds of things have you been eating? I've just been told that I have it and I'm 18 weeks. I won't see the nutritionist for 2 weeks. So I was wondering what kinds of things should I be eating in the meantime? (Obviously I won't be consuming candy, soda, etc...)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My baby is now 5 but I had the same dilemma. I found out I had gd and had to wait 2 weeks to speak to the nutritionist. Other things you want to watch are white breads, pasta, rice, potatoes, fruits (natural sugar). Eggs are good for breakfast. You can have a sandwich for lunch...I think I was alotted about 30 carbs or so per meal and fifteen carbs for snacks. Fruit is healthy but you have to watch your servings. I remember I was shocked at how my blood sugar spiked after eating it. Basically, I remember eating 3 meals and 2 or 3 snacks a day. I felt great and gained minimal weight...and I was never all that hungry. It's not too hard to follow...I was even allowed a small bag of chips w/lunch. Everything in moderation...and testing with the finger test strips just kept me aware of what I could and couldn't eat. It's really not that bad...good luck and best wishes for you and your baby!
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 7:45 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I just re-read my answer...I'm not too sure on the carbs allotted per meal...it may be 60 per meal and 30 per snack...Sorry for the confusion. Just watch your carbs...which are also sugar...whole grains are a great choice.
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 7:48 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Typically, you will end up using the diet and exercise and testing your glucose levels 4-5 times a day for the first week after seeing the dietician. If your glucose levels are elevated, they will most likely put you on insulin to control your glucose.
    This is a sample of what my diet entailed: Breakfast- 2 starches, 2 protein, 1 milk, 1 fat... Snack- 1 fruit 1 protein... Lunch- 2 starches, 2 protein, 1 veg, 1 fat, 1 milk... snack- 1 fruit 1 protein... Dinner- 2 starches, 3 protein, 2 fats, 2 veggies 1 milk.. Snack- 1 starch, 1 protein

I was insulin dependent during my last pregnancy. With my first, it was handled incorrectly with just diet and exercise.
    Risks with GD include- high birth weight, low birth weight, jaundice, difficult deliveries that result in broken bones in the infant, and stillbirth.
    Continued..
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:01 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Continued...
    My best advise is to follow the diet as closely as possible and exercise unless you are at risk and on bed rest. Exercise helps to lower your glucose levels.
    Also, in addition to avoiding sweets... watch corn, rice, potatoes, breads, etc... those are all big carbs and will alter your levels. Make sure that you eat a snack before going to bed. This actually helps your fasting numbers. 60-90 for fasting and under 120 for after meals. It will vary by OB, but my HR wanted my numbers to be under 120 2 hours after meals. They were very strict. By the end of my pregnancy, I was on insulin 2x daily and checking my glucose 4 times daily.. 6 needles a day.. it stunk!DD was 5.5 wks early due to my health. They tested her blood for a week, but it was always within range. Once you have been diagnosed with GD, you are more at risk for developing Type 2 within 10 yrs of your first diagnosis. Your baby is at risk for JD.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:08 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I had GD with my second pregnancy. By the time I was 5 months along I was on insulin twice daily and checking glucose 4-6 times daily. When you see your nutritionist, he/she will let you know what and how much to eat. I had gotten a chart that listed most foods and what the carb count was per serving. It's not hard to follow and I'm still following it today almost 3 years later. It's a great way to watch what you eat. Don't stress too much, everything will be fine. My son was delivered by a scheduled c-section because I had one for my first, delivered 3 weeks early and was a healthy 7.4 pounds, kicking, screaming little bundle of joy. He was a little low the first day, they fed him formula and by the next day he was perfectly fine. Good luck to you, I know all will be ok.
    meetzycat

Answer by meetzycat at 11:03 PM on Feb. 2, 2009