C section question

The recovery.......... So i am scheduled in 3 days and really nervous. Scale from 1-10 whats the pain like? im a baby. Also anything I should know? Thanks!!!

tawnbond

Asked by tawnbond at 7:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I asked everyone the same question because I'm a baby!
    They told me that a C-section is painless! Nothing!
    Until afterwards, or something. And that you can't even hold your baby after it because the tummy is tender.
    Anonymous

• It's not horrible. They do give you great pain meds, just make sure you take them before you are in a lot of pain.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 7:28 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Get a boppy pillow..You can hold your baby, its just hard to pass the baby. Your DH will have to get her/him from your arms. You can still BF if you want, I did and I enjoyed the connection I felt I missed by not going natural. Your going to be real sore for the first few days. If you take the pain meds and don't sneeze or laugh you'll be fine. The baby is a great distraction. Don't be a hero, take the pain meds...they won't interfere with BF.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 7:30 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Im going to be completely honest here. I spent about 2 hours crying my eyes out when my doctor said "C-Section." And I went in to the OR scared outta my mind. Pretty much convulsing(sp?) in fear. Well because I was so nervous I never even felt the needles they give you. Which was a BIG plus since that was my biggest fear lol. The Spinal kicks in really fast. You can have the Dr tell you everything theyre doing or you can just lay there and wait to hear ur baby cry. You dont get to hold your baby for like an hour afterwards. The feeling takes forever to come back into ur legs. I think it was about 3 hours for me. The day of, the pain is bareable. Its the day after. Its very uncomfortable. The cut is all itchy and tingly. I hated it. But in the end it is worth it. And all that matters is that there is a healthy mommy and baby at the end. GOODLUCK!! CONGRATS!!
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 7:31 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Actually the worst part for me was getting out of bed for the first time. It sucks! BUT the more you do it the easier it gets, the better you feel, and the faster you heal. I was up about 12 hours after my Csec. I couldn't lay there any longer!!! I was actually up before the doctor suggested it!
    Holding the baby isn't a problem either, unless you have a 17lb baby, lol. Do everything you can for yourself. It will be easier on you, in the long run. Also ask for your meds when it's time for them! Don't wait or you will be really hurting!!
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 7:31 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Oh on a scale of 1-10, I say a 4 because most docs manage the pain very well.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 7:31 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Keep a pillow for your tummy when coughing or turning to give support there. And bring a step stool for next to the bed to make it easier to step down. I had one labor ending in a csec and two csecs with no labors for my last two babies. If your section is without a labor your pain should be less after the section than if you labor and then section. You should get a pain pump afterward to self medicate but yet not enough to overdose. Plus probably a peakflow to test your lung power after laying down no matter the kind of anesthesia. Congratulations!!
    Anonymous

• I slept through mine --- so biggest issue with my beforehand was the catheter. Yeah, that's fun. Waking up's not fun either... but then pumped me full of morphine for 24 hrs before switching to vicodin. Gas pains can get pretty intense & violent shakes for a few days/weeks (hormones, ya know). Trying to roll over & get in & out of bed is a nightmare for a few days, too.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 7:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I have a very high tolerance for pain, I was told that I would be fine and let me tell you, I was in PAIN for days, my daughter was in the hospital for a 1 1/2weeks so it was easier for me to deal with my pain, but till this day and she is almost 19 mths I can feel my nerves connecting or whatever and at times it gets numb where I got stitched. I don't know maybe some people have it easier than others. I would be curious to know how your is for you when you are better!!

determind

Answer by determind at 8:07 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• ive had two c sections. if you are still curious about something, feel free to message me..
    i would be happy to chat about it...
    otherwise, good luck and remember to breathe, slow deep breaths.
    MadeOfStars

Answer by MadeOfStars at 8:13 PM on Feb. 2, 2009