Is it normal...

for my 13 month old to all of a sudden become a finicky eater? He used to eat so well, but now he only wants to eat snacks. He hates to sit down and eat food.

HeatherLeigh

Asked by HeatherLeigh at 7:51 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Now that he is mobile, he won't want to sit down and eat. Just offer him balanced meals but in snack sized portions. Sometimes I have to cut chicken nuggets into pieces and William will eat a bite and play! But they most definately get to be a picky eater as they get older.
    mommyofwilliam

Answer by mommyofwilliam at 8:01 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I'm giving you a big fat yes its normal to become that picky! I have a very picky 4 year old that turned on me about that age. He used to eat everything!!!
    kryssie78

Answer by kryssie78 at 8:03 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• very normal.
    TSSN88

Answer by TSSN88 at 8:06 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• DD did that for a couple weeks right when she turned 14 months. But she went back to her normal eating habits shortly after. I do find myself feeding her more snacks throughout the day . . .Just make sure you're offering plenty of fruits and veggies for snacks. You can pre-chop fruits and pre-steam the veggies so you don't have to cook for every little snack :~)
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:19 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• it's normal. the doctor said kids will be less interested in eating at around this age.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 8:30 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My dd was around that age when she started becoming oober picky! She is almost 2 now and knows that the house rule is: IF YOU DONT LIKE WHAT MOM MADE THEN YOU CAN EAT CEREAL OR NOTHING AT ALL! I dont think any mom should be a short order cook!!! Some days she eats hardly anything and other days she eats whatever I give her! Kids are so confusing LOL!!!! Good luck hunnie!!!
    maddys1mommy

Answer by maddys1mommy at 12:12 AM on Feb. 3, 2009