Passy wonderings....

When is a good age to take away the pacifier?

HeatherLeigh

Asked by HeatherLeigh at 7:51 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• Never gave my DD...my nephew had one til he was over 2 so I decided to break that before it got started
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 7:55 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• the earlier the better. i only gave mine a passy when they were trying to go to sleep. neither have a conection to it my youngest is almost 8 months and she doesn't use it anymore nore does my oldest. but i did try to get them on a passy and not their thumb, passy is much easier to take away :D but passys can lead to really bad teath and jaw formation (in extream cases) but if left unattended to the child will have a dependancy to it or something that will similate it like their thumb or fingernail biting. so i say if you can get rid of it do it asap!
    setliff

Answer by setliff at 7:56 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I took William's away at 11 months which is when I weaned him from the bottle too. I just cut the tip off the paci and it lost its suction. He sucked on it a few times and then threw it out himself!
    mommyofwilliam

Answer by mommyofwilliam at 7:59 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Between 18 months and 2 years.
    toyota

Answer by toyota at 8:02 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• With my oldest, we took it away when he was two (either just turned two or right before, I can't remember for sure!). I had him down to where he was only using it at night, nap time, and in the car so it wasn't too big of a deal when we took it. But I always hear that you should do it between 1 & 2 yrs.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 12:21 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• wow i cant believe people are saying 18 months to 2 years old, thats waaaayyy too old, a baby shouldnt be sucking a pacifer if their are teeth involved, matter of fact once you are 1 you are not a baby anymore but officially a toddler (whether we like it or not). I just couldnt imagine seeing a toddler with a pacifer, sounds like the parent is just being lazy and not wanting to have a battle.

Babies dont need pacifiers, people just give them to not hear a baby whining, especially in hospitals. Babies have a natural way of soothing themselves.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Feb. 3, 2009