HI don't know if this is true but I just found out Im pregnant & I heard people say don't pick up your toddler (he's 30lbs) because it might strain me to much ever hear this? HOw do you not pick up a toddler?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• lol yeah you're not supposed to pick anything heavier than a gallon milk...but like we do that too right? don't worry, unless you're high risk or something, i wouldn't worry about that. i as still picking my toddler up when i was 9 months
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• When someone figures out how to not ever pick up their toddler let me know lol. I'm high risk but sometimes she just needs to be held or carried.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:26 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I still pick up my 4 yo. and I'm 37 weeks. Just be careful if you are walking with him. Your joints are more loose when pregnant and that is where the risk for falling and hurting yourself comes in.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 8:28 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I had a toddler when I was preg and they didn't say anything like that, and I was old and considered a risky preg because of my age. Exercise is good for a preg mama and unless you have a reason from the DR like bedrest then you can pick up your toddler.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:29 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My doctor told me not to do anything I wasn't use to doing already. So if you are use to picking up a toddler, I would think it would be okay.
    Anonymous

• just be careful to not lift from ur back- try do use ur knees- believe me back pain during pregnancy is bad enough without having to pick up a toddler so if u lift safely then u wont add any more pain to that im preggo and i have an 18 mo old and a 3 yr old that still want me to pick them up (thank God my 5 yr old is past that stage!) but what else r u supposed to do if ur toddler is crying? ignore them?
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 8:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I've never stopped picking up my son. I still wear him on my back in his baby carrier all the time too. I'm 38 weeks and have gone through 4 pregnancies with toddlers to pick up with no problems,
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:40 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• you'll be fine picking him/her up unless your doc tells you to avoid it.
    LoveMyBlessings

Answer by LoveMyBlessings at 8:50 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• This is an old wives tale. You can lift your toddler. The problems will be later on when you have a big belly it could be bad for your back. Just use proper body mechanics and you should be okay (unless you have some other kind of medical condition). CONGRATS!!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:55 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I pick up my 31lbs little one and im 38 weeks just cant hold him long its all how your bosy reacts if it hurts dont do it and ask doc to.
    mocamomma22

Answer by mocamomma22 at 9:14 PM on Feb. 2, 2009