I have two cats how dangerous is that for me?

ourbaby1002

Asked by ourbaby1002 at 8:36 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You question is unclear to me. Are you pregnant and concerned with the feces of cats? If so...it is perfectly safe to have cats ...just do not change the kitty litter or come in contact with any cat feces.

If you are referring to having cats with kids...It depends upon the temperment of the cat. You can buy mats to place outside of rooms that will deter them from entering. It is an old wives tale that cats will smother babies....If you don't leave milk dripping out of the babies mouth...there is no harm....
    I hope that answers your intended question.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 8:48 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• i have 3 cats and my son has never been smothered, then again we keep them out of his room. i dont think its dangerous to have cats, could you maybe post more?
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 8:53 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Cats in the house are actually healthy for kids. Having exposure to more than one animal during the first year of life REDUCES ASTHMA/ALLERGIES!!!
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 8:55 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• It depends on how able you are to maintain your pets. You should not change the litter or come into contact with their feces during pregnancy (Toxoplasmosis). You should not allow cats up onto eating/working surfaces. Remember, they stand in their toilet (litter box) and coliforms (fecal bacteria) are constantly on their feet. You'll have to take them to the vet regularly, keep them on heart worm (which protects against other worms too) and have them tested for worms regularly especially if they go outdoors at all. Many parasites can communicate from animal to human and children are 5 times as susceptible to infection by a parasite from an animal as adults are. I would also keep the cat from climbing in the crib. Just because it didn't smother someone elses' child doesn't mean another cat can't smother yours.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:04 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Cats are fine during pregnancy --- it's their poop you want to avoid (which I hope you avoid anyways LOL)

Just have someone else take over litter box duty.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:12 AM on Feb. 3, 2009