The process to sainthood

Do you know the steps to sainthood? Some of these can take years.

There are several steps in the Church’s process of declaring someone a saint. From first to last, the corresponding titles are Servant of God, Venerable, Blessed, and Saint. "Blesseds" are those who have been beatified. Beatification requires one attested miracle and allows the beatified person to be venerated by his local church. Canonization requires two attested miracles and allows veneration of the saint by the universal Church. Canonization is an infallible statement by the Church that the saint is in heaven.

adnilm

Asked by adnilm at 9:12 AM on Jul. 19, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• Nifty
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 9:13 AM on Jul. 19, 2012

• Yes. Yes I do. I watch T.V. and read books and have a computer that can tell me ALL sorts of things. And I haven't been living under a rock for the past 62 years.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:03 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• Yes I knew this, two of my favorite saints are St Therisa of the Child Jesus and Saint Padre Pio.
    candbtea

Answer by candbtea at 2:07 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• i believe all of 'Us' are saints, living or dead. i don't agree any church has the authority to 'saint' a person.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:05 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• I asked about this a while ago, because I was watching "The Tudors" and wondered about the canonization of Thomas Moore. I don't remember the answers, it was a long time ago, but now that you mention it, I wonder. What miracles are attributed to him? I understand that his devotion and service to the CC was worthy, but how did he fulfill the requirements for canonization?

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 3:57 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• He had not miracles attributed to him, his martyrdom gave him a pass. It would be difficult to verify any miracles that may have happened, considering the length of time between his death and his being put up for sainthood
    adnilm

Comment by adnilm (original poster) at 4:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• /sigh/

#3

5 Epic Achievements That Aren't as Impressive as You Think

Any one else tiring of the premptive question answering? 

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• Thanks for explaining!

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:03 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• Yes I do but more importantly I know where to go for the answers if I don;t know.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:16 AM on Jul. 20, 2012

• Hate to bust your bubble but this "sainthood" you mention is NOT biblical and like the pharacies of old Jesus is saddened by the Catholic church's insistance on enforcing man's law above God's. Case in point, 1st - according to the Bible, a believer is a saint. 2nd - the worship of Mary and the Rosary, though not Dogmatic, it is still pushed on the sheep. Basically ask yourself. What are the requirements of a cult? A cult must have 1 leader (the pope), a cult insists on its own publications (Catholics are not allowed to read the Bible so they put out their own writings and prayers) and lastly a cult uses threats to keep people from leaving (Catholics are told if they leave the catholic church they will go to hell). Their you have it, the Catholic church IS a cult and you have been warned. Find a bible believing, bible teaching church. Because to have Jesus in you, you read the word and the word is Jesus - John1:1
    MomGoneGreen470

Answer by MomGoneGreen470 at 10:23 AM on Jul. 22, 2012