My beautiful daughter has curly when wet -kinky when dry hair...any products to suggest...I'm from puerto rico with soft curls and daddy is african american with coarse hair.

mamawilson112

Asked by mamawilson112 at 8:45 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• (sorry it wouldn't let me finish lol)

8. FD & C Color PIGMENTS
    9. FRAGRANCE
    10. IMIDAZOLIDINYL UREA and DMDM HYDANTOIN

If you want a detailed run-down on each item, shoot me a message, I'd be happy to give you the reasons.

For moisture, I recommend water-based products. To help seal in moisture, use a light oil, like coconut (which is also good for moisture), jojoba oil, even olive oil (applied lightly and only to the hair). Other oils can be applied directly to the scalp, but not olive oil (it tends to be heavy on the scalp). There are many MANY natural products sold in BSS stores that are much better on the hair and scalp than many of the products marketed today. You can also order a TON of wonderful products online, like I do.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 7:35 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• pink lotion
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 8:51 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Organic root stimulator olive oil moisture lotion...trust me!!!!
    mittensoup

Answer by mittensoup at 10:42 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Just for Me detangler and hair lotion. Pink lotion can weigh the hair down and make it greasy, but Just For Me products is a line specifically made for children with ethnic hair. When I was pregnant I stopped relaxing my hair and because I was paranoid about hazardous products, I went with their detangling spray to help with combing through my hair and used the hair lotion to keep my end moisturized. I too have curly when wet and kinky when dry hair ;0) I plan to use Just For Me on my daughter's hair and I promised myself I would never relax her hair although they do make a relaxer for kids as well.
    SuperMama927

Answer by SuperMama927 at 1:51 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• ok we are italian but my daughters hair is like that and she is a hair dresser..she says leave in conditioner.or interesting she told me to buy coconut oil.my neighbor uses gel..it comes out really nicekind of like a jerry curl....
    snowmom974

Answer by snowmom974 at 2:46 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Please for the love of all that you treasure STAY AWAY FROM PINK LOTION! That stuff is horrible.

Most commerically made products have a TON of artifical ingredients in them...all they do is coat the hair (making absorbing and retaining moisture impossible), attract debris, and weaken the hair.

I'm an advocate of natural products. Period. Stuff that grows from the ground and is naturally absorbed by your body with no harmful or long-term hazards (a lot of the products they put in commerical hair products have been proven to be carcenogens).

I would take a trip to your local beauty supply shop (BSS) and browse around. Here are the Top 10 ingredients to avoid (this includes shampoos and conditioners):

1. ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL
    2. MINERAL OIL & PETROLATUM
    3. PEG
    4. PROPYLENE GLYCOL (PG)
    5. SODIUM LAURYL SUFATE (SLS) & SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE (SLES)
    6. SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE (SLES)
    7. CHLORINE

...
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 7:32 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Pink lotion will dry and make the hair flaky and dry and dull looking no shine once dried. If dad is black then I know what her hair type is. Use a good cream shampoo, conditioner. Then place some type of oil in it before it dries. Don;t let it dry without some oil. Then you take it and braid or plait in 5 big sections. Take each section lose and blow dry pulling it straight. Depending upon how much hair she has it could take 1 hour to do. If you don't want to alway sgo that route make sure you braid in 5 big sections allow to dry and then style in one or two ponytails. Never forget the oil after washing to keep it soft, shiny and pliable. I am a former hairstylist. I also have biracial children. Hope this helps. If you need more detail help send me a picture ofher hair and I wil l walk you through some tips.
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 9:46 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Why use heat on her hair at all? If the child is under 6, I DEFINITELY wouldn't use heat. It only causes damage. There are NO benefits to using heat, even blow drying.

Why not just let her braid it up or section it off in little ponytails?
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 10:44 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• You should join this group! http://www.cafemom.com/group/6746 It has helped me A LOT with my daughters hair and mine.
    damira

Answer by damira at 11:17 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Pink oil moisturizer has been notorious for breaking out the hair. I used to use it on my daughter's hair and kept wondering why her hair was breaking and my beautician informed me of its effects. Carol's daughter products are pretty good. Avoid anything with alcohol.
    younghyster2008

Answer by younghyster2008 at 12:37 AM on Feb. 4, 2009