I havent had a perm in 3 months, Is it ok for me to press my hair?

I dont want to get a perm until the summer.

loveablemom834

Asked by loveablemom834 at 8:45 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Yes I think that you will be ok. Keep me posted!!
    fhforever19

Answer by fhforever19 at 10:51 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I did it and had no problems! The only thing is you have to keep ur hair fully moisturized you cant let it get dry or else it will break off. Good luck
    Alaina1982

Answer by Alaina1982 at 9:13 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I'm a natural girl, so I don't have anything positive to say about heat or chemicals lol
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 7:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• Wait, I'm confused. A perm is usually for caucasion people and relaxer is for black people. Then you said you wanted to press your hair. I am not trying to be sarcastic, but not sure if you are correct with your question.
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 9:39 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I'm pretty sure she meant 'relaxer'. Most African American's mistakenly use the wrong term.

The perms I know used for AA hair tell you AVOID heat, because it can make your hair begin shedding to the point of no return. So I'm pretty sure she meant relaxer.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 10:57 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I think you should be fine. After perming/relaxing for a while, I started having a lot of breakage, so I started pressing and flat ironing my hair for three months, and it grew out. By keeping your ends clipped and your hair conditioned and oiled properly you should be fine. I have very thick hair so it actually took me three days to get my hair straightened the way I wanted it. Not sure what your hair texture is, so be very careful with the heat.
    younghyster2008

Answer by younghyster2008 at 12:33 AM on Feb. 4, 2009