I took DDs BFF back to school shopping with us.

We were over at her BFFs house while the girls were playing, the subject of school came up, and the mom said that she dreads this time of year, as she isnt finacially able to get her kids things they want. THey have had a rough couple years, the two older boys were diagnosed with Autism, one with bi polar, and they had their house foreclosed on, so its understandable she has alot on her plate. I asked if she minded if I took her dd out shopping with us, as we were going to be picking up a few school things( didnt say exactly what, as I wasnt sure) SHe said oh sure, I bet she would love that. Anyhow we went out and they both got their supplies, a backpack( picked out one for each brother also) and an outfit and shoes. The BFF was beaming! She said that it was the funnest day of her life! :) DD also had fun.When we returned the mom was in shock, she didnt think her dd would be getting anything- just going for the ride, she was beyond happy. I said it was no problem and i was more than happy to do what I could to help out when I could.
This was something I had always wanted to do, but couldnt, so this year I was happy to be able to do this :) I normaly donate supplies for the supply drive in for the schools, but this was more personal. Just had to share, thanks for reading.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Jul. 19, 2012 in General Parenting

• Why go anon for something like this? That's awesome!
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:11 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• My son loves to donate school supplies at the local Starbucks. They collect all the stuff and donate it to the local school district who hands it out based on need. I think what you did was great and your dd's friend will always remember this.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 12:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• I remember that it was always a struggle for my parents to get us all school supplies (7 children in a 1 income household), but somehow they always managed to give us everything we needed. I know here and there that there were wonderful people like you to help out in particularly rough times. I'm positive that and children will never forget that act of kindness. Thanks for sharing.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:15 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• I always go anon with stuff like this too. I do not want everyone to think I am being pretentious, "oh look at me, I am such a great person, blah blah blah". Sometimes it is just nice to talk about the nice things you do without the label of do gooder. So I can totally relate.

Well done Momma!
    Anonymous

• You're such a wonderful person
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:17 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• that's a good thing you did. thank you!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:21 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• Awesome.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:29 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• That is an awesome thing you did. It's also a great example for your daughter on acts of kindess towards others! I'm willing to bet you that her little friend will always remember what you did for her. Good job momma!!
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• Bravo!

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:06 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• That's awesome :)

What a great thing to do for them
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:09 PM on Jul. 19, 2012