HELP fast!

I need help and I need it fast, before I climb the walls of my house! (seriously!) I'm going to start with some background info first as I think it may be important. We found out my son had acid reflux when he was about a month old. After switching formulas over and over he was on Nutramegin for about 4 months along with zantac. After his 6 month apt we switched back to Enfamil with Iron and that has seemed to go well. When he was a baby (0-2 or 3 months) I was able to throw a blanbket on him anywhere and he would fall asleep. While visitng family they all thought it was cute to rock him to sleep. Friends did the same after I asked them not to. Well he is now VERY depandent on rocking. However when you lay him in bed he wakes up. Lately, after switching back to Enfamil he has only been taking a 30-45 min nap. He also only naps in the morning fron 9-when he wakes and again at 3-when ever. (continued)

bigtrucksgirl

Asked by bigtrucksgirl at 8:56 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I knew he wasn't getting his naps out so I would rock him a few times I fell asleep myself in the recliner so he slept with me (DEFINATELY NOT WHAT I WANTED!) so now he kinda expects that. If he doesnt get the nap out and I refuse to lay with him in the recliner he is GRUMPY always crying. At night at 9pm we've always put him in bed, started out fine again but lately it's been getting to where no matter what we do we have to eventually pick him back up and rock him again. He will wake BACK up at 10 ish and want to be held and rocked. He gets up betwen 11 nad 1130 for his last feeding (always has) usually he goes right back to bed. Lately we've been fighting with that as well. I want to get him out of the habbit of rocking but he will NOT cry himself to sleep either. I've left him in there for 5 min at a time gone back and tucked him in and walked out. I don't know what else to do. (cont)
    bigtrucksgirl

Answer by bigtrucksgirl at 8:59 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• my son had it really bad too. And thanks to grandparents, insisted on being rocked to sleep. What we had to do was incline his crib. We put a brick under each leg at the head and had him sleep at a slant. It helped him sleep better since the angle prevents the acid reflux from creeping up. Good Luck.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 9:00 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• This is basically our day, wake up between 7-730, eat cereal and a 5 oz bottle, play time, nap time 9ish- a fruit and veggie and another 5 oz bottle, play time another 5 oz bottle at 3 then nap time we push for 5-530 Play time then fruit and veggie and 3 oz bottle, bath time play time then a 6 oz bottle around 8. Then in bed by 9 back up for last feeding of cereal and a 8 oz bottle. He's been getting up at 4 am but doesn't need to eat and we change him but won't go back to sleep in his bed. ANY IDEAS TIPS or anything you do
    bigtrucksgirl

Answer by bigtrucksgirl at 9:03 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• the reflux doesn't really bother him much at night time and it's a lot better now, no more vomiting just spit up like noral babies!
    bigtrucksgirl

Answer by bigtrucksgirl at 9:04 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• ok. Eli did not either after his meds and switch in formula, but once we inclined the bed it helped a lot. We think it was that the acid was burning his throat even though it was not coming all the way up. At least it did me every time I was pregnant. Good luck.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 9:06 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• MIne is doing the same thing. I as a first time mommy didnt know any better cause thats what my mother and grandmother had told me to do. Well it finally became to much. So I tried to just lay him down and to my surprise it worked, No problem. Well not a week later he got sick. He couldnt breathe laying down. So he went right back to the being held and rocked to go to sleep due to his not feeling well and wanting mommy and daddy cause he was sick. I am not at this fight again. Yes it's hard but a lot of times I let him vry it out in his swing. I have done this a many of times before just to get him out of sleeping with us and sleeping in the crib. It teaches them to fall asleep with out you. Yes they are still rocking but they go to sleep by them selves not with you holding and it usually will easy the process of getting them back into that habbit to where you can just lay him down and walk away. I hope this helps.
    Anonymous

• i havent had to deal with acid reflux but instead of doing bricks you can just put a pillow under the mattress, my son has always slept better that way, but i cant really say much cause i lay down with my little man until he falls asleep. good luck!
    softbalchic2004

Answer by softbalchic2004 at 9:12 PM on Feb. 2, 2009