I know a couple who has a child that just flunked kindergarten and....

he growls at people, never listens, is always biting, punching, hitting, swinging and yelling and cussing. He throws tantrums he kicks things, throws things an breaks them he will pull the drawers out and throw them accross the room. He went poop in a neighbors yard. He seems out of control all of the time.

The parents are so busy blaming each other --

I think he has ADHD and a conduct disorder but I don't know how to say something to them. Should I say something or not?

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 19, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• My sons both have ADHD. Most of what you describe there is NOT ADHD. He clearly has something going on, but those things are not ADHD. If he DOES have ADHD, it's the least of their worries, because the other stuff is indicative of either a serious issue or a horrible lack of parenting, or both. Given that you say they are blaming each other, and you DON'T mention what they've done to try to resolve this, I'd go with both.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:52 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• Sounds like it's more than ADHD
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• didn't the school tell them? have they not be told to have him tested?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• That is a child who needs an evaluation. Hopefully the school will step in.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:44 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• I can't believe the school isn't addressing it with them!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• All you can do is ask if they've had him evaluated. If not, suggest that they should talk to his pediatrician. There are different programs that can help, even without medications.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:42 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• I would print out the info on the adhd and conduct disorder and tell them they may want to take a look at it. It may be a real eye opener if they read it.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 1:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• You might gently ask if they have had him tested.
    I would guess some is inborn but some is environment. Just look at how they are reacting.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• It sounds like my son...he has alot of anger problems were in the middle of having him tested we already have him in special education and he does sooo good.they think it's high autism or bipolar disorder so also look up those 2 and see if it fits him.the parents I am sure are very over whelmed and probily will need afriend or 2.please don't look away from this family if you can be there for them.also tell the wife to come on here and look up your post and have her email me I am willing to talk to her and be her online friend if she wants too:).....I understand completly what this family is going through and can help her through it.
    mommyjenn29

Answer by mommyjenn29 at 2:54 AM on Jul. 20, 2012

• Sounds like it's more than ADHD
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 7:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2012