"Stupid Design"

A YouTube video of a Neil deGrasse Tyson classic

It's great to think that the universe was created for us, and that we are the beneficiaries of perfect, intelligent design, but that religious theory (not to be confused with a scientific theory) doesn't answer the questions about all those things that aren't perfect or make any sense at all.  Where's the intelligence in the design of the appendix, for example?  Or the fact that there is really just a small part of the planet, and far, far less in the universe, where we could survive?

thevalidfallacy:  toouncouthforthisyouth:  Neil deGrasse Tyson on Stupid Design  “Another area of fuzzy thinking out there is the movement called Intelligent Design. It asserts that somethings are too marvelous or too intricate to explain. The contention is that these things defy common scientific accounts for cause and effect, and so they’re ascribed to an intelligent, purposeful designer. […] So let’s start a movement called Stupid Design, and we’ll see where that takes us. For example, what’s going on with your appendix? It’s much better at killing you than it is at anything else. That’s definitely a stupid design. What about your pinky toenail? You can barely put nail polish on it; there’s no real estate there. how about bad breath, or the fact that you breathe and drink through the same hole in your body, causing some fraction of us to choke to death every year? And here’s my last one. Ready?Down therebetween our legs,it’s like an entertainment complex systemin the middle of a sewage system.Who designed that?” — Neil DeGrasse Tyson

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 3:46 PM on Jul. 19, 2012 in Religious Debate

• Picture is missing?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:47 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• I don't get the picture.
    Just because something does not make sense to us does not mean it does not make sense.
    Many things have not made any snse like gnats and poison ivy but as time has gone on the reasons for their existance have become clearer.
    On the other hand the playpus is one I have always laughed about. I do not know if it has a significant place in the balabnce of life but I do know it makes me laugh even if I just her the word. Maybe that is its purpose, comic relief and couriosity.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:53 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• I don't see where the "imperfect" part is or what doens't make sense... It's a bit egotistical to assume we know or have the capacity to know everything, so just because right now it doesn't make sense or it seems useless or like an oopsie, it doesn't mean that it is.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 3:58 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• "On the other hand the playpus is one I have always laughed about."

I can't hear or read "platypus" without imagining Doofernshmirtz saying "Perry the platypus!!
    LOL

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 4:01 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• The video is the best explanation. The quote just sums up what he explains in the video.
    jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 4:17 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• I love that guy.
    There are so many flaws in the human body that it makes me think we're the 1st generation of a much better model to come

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:21 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4T2Ulv48nw

Sharon

momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 4:21 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• I do find it a bit egotistical that if you don't know something or can't understand why it's the way it is, to automatically judge it as "stupid"... And yeah... the difficulty of putting nail polish on the pinky toe just proves there can't be intelligent desing... Forget about the perfect balance of the Universe that's impossible to keep just by a lucky accident, that pinky toe just proves creationism wrong, LOL!

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 4:26 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• This is just my opinion but the reason I think things aren't perfect here on Earth is because this isn't Heaven. If our Earth expirence was perfect why not just stay in Heaven. Sometimes hardships and imperfect situations can cause us to examine our spiritual lives. It can also cause us to go in a totally different direction in our lives than we would have otherwise done.

I understand the difference between religion and science. They don't have to be at odds with each other. Science cannot answer every question either. This does not make me want to abandon science.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:06 PM on Jul. 19, 2012

• Mr. Tyson left out the fact that Christians know that nothing in this life is perfect. Sin is what caused God's perfect creation to warp and change. Besides, even though there are many imperfections in our bodies and in nature, we and this world are still awesome to observe. Far too awesome to have happened by chance. I guess the proverbial glass is half full to me.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 6:13 PM on Jul. 19, 2012