what to do?

i have a problem with my four year old every night when i put her to bed she throws a fit or trys to find a reason to come out how can i keep her from doing that all the time i tried reading books,singing her to sleep,rocking her,i've tried everything and nothing works.it gets me so mad i feel like giving up help me please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I know from experience the difficulties of getting a 4 yr old to go sleep sometimes (been through it 2 times now) and trust me no matter how fustrating it can be at times you have to stay calm because your little can feel that you are getting upset or agravated and they feed off of it. Have you tried putting on a Disney movie and laying with her. Expain to her that you are going to lay with her and watch the move. Most of the time within 10 to 15 minutes they are out like a light. Sometimes they are also overly tired and that can make it even harder for them to go to sleep, so stick with a routine. Most peditricians will tell you that they need 12 hours spleep at night and 2 two hours in the day to not be so overly tired. I do 7 PM to 7AM and nap time is 20 minutes after lunch typically no later than 12 PM to 2PM. I put mine down at 11:30 to 1:30. Late naps can be a killer. Hope this helps! Good luck! Be patient, calm
    Anonymous

• Been there, done that. My son turned 4 in Sept. & started having fits at bedtime, saying his room scared him, etc; we also tried to do the long bedtime routine, stories & cuddling & praying & reminding him there's nothing scary in his room but then he started sleeping on the floor instead of his bed. I don't know why but it has made a difference to him & I can't figure it out. So for a while now we've just making up a bed for him on the floor, no complaints or fits. Good luck with this & I hope you can find a solution soon.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 11:14 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I wouldn't use a movie to go to sleep by and I wouldn't lay down beside her until she was completely asleep because then if she awakens during the night, she won't be able to put herself back to sleep without those same "sleep aids". I stayed beside my daughters bed while lullaby music played, then just as she was getting very sleepy, I said good night and left the room. If she stayed in her bed for the night, she got a glow in the dark star(found at dollar store) that we put on her ceiling. Very soon she had a "sky" full of stars.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 5:30 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• My son was doing the same thing. Now I start telling him that he needs to get ready for bed around 7, so come 8 (which is bedtime) it's not a suprise. He takes a bath and plays in there for a while. Gets out and into pjs, brushes teeth, and lays with Mama or Papa for 10 to 15 min. He goes into his room and reads until 8 pm. He's been doing a lot better since he knows what is happening when and we tell him how much longer until bedtime.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 3:54 PM on Feb. 3, 2009