what kind of rules do you think is best for kids?

My hubby and i sat down are childern and gave them rules 3 to 10 yrs old rules my 2 old think its not fair and i am hoping to see what kind of rules you have to show my kids at least they are the same..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well, my daughter's three years old and we don't have a ton of rules, yet. Basically, she needs to clean up her room and play area everyday, use nice language (no stupid, shut up, etc), ummm...I think that's really it! I limit her TV time and get her out and playing daily, but I don't really think those are rules...What kind of rules do your kids think are unfair??
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 9:29 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• well i have made a chore chart for each one of my kids, and i made it to wear each kids chore fits there age and as they get older, some will change. each clean there own room,the girls share the bath, so the oldest swiffer mopes the bath floor, takes out trash, wipes down mirror. the 4yr old wipes down counter tops (with clorox wipes and they wear there own "cool " cleaning gloves) and cleans up hairbows, combs ect. )they have other small chores around house) also we have a sweet talk rule, if you cant say something in a sweet voice then you need to wait until you can to say it(this works on husbands too lol) they get stickers for each chore they do to put on the chart, 5stickers =5dollars and 1.50 goes to save. 3=2.50 (.75 save) and 1=sucker or candy my kids love this and it really helps me too and teaches them to work towards a goal
    jesussaves424

Answer by jesussaves424 at 9:46 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• In our house their are 5 basic rules (but that flexes with time and circumstances)
    1. Stay where your adult can see you
    2. Listen to your adult
    3. Hands to yourself
    4. Feet on the Floor
    5. Use nice words and Language

my daughter adds in don't run in the library and use quiet voice inside (wincing as she yells that one out at the top of her lungs)
    Oh and cleaning up is not a rule its an expectation (but that's cause they are 3 and 5) I'm sure the rules will expand with time.
    We've had these rules since our first disney visit at ages 11/2 and 3 and they've served us well so far.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:07 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• oh to clarify the "your adult" -- 1. I also work with children/adults that have profound/severe intellectual disabilities so I use the rules with them too.
    and 2. I did not want to have them say to me .. but its where mommy can see you not ______, in case they are out /being watched by anyone else. (and yes my then 3.5 year old tried that bit of lawyering)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:09 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Rules are what you set down as laws in your house. Rules say that you do things this way. If they do not think it is fair that they can not run with the tooth brush in their mouth then give them the reason why that is so and then they will get it. If they think it is not fair that the older ones have more rules then tell them that the younger ones will have that rule but for now they don't need it. That because they are older then they have more responsability in life to do the right thing. Our rules are just common sense things that adults get and kids don't.

1. Leave the shows by the door so your don't track what ever is on them all over the house.
    2. Show respect to your elders.
    3. Don't do anything to anyone that you don't want done to you!!
    4. Do what you are told then not when you feel like it!!
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 7:04 AM on Feb. 3, 2009