My daughter doesn't eat much for supper anymore?

My daughter is 3 and here lately she barely wants anything for supper. I have cut out giving her an afternoon snack thinking that would help but it hasn't! Any suggestions? Should i just say ok and let not eat or offer her a snack later? My DH tells her that if she doesn't eat supper, she isn't getting anything the rest of the night!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my daughter barley eats either and she is 4 but shes always like this i wouldnt worry,as long as shes eating something for dinner.
    sherryfeltner

Answer by sherryfeltner at 9:31 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My son barely eats
    LoveMommy1982

Answer by LoveMommy1982 at 9:52 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• offer supper, if she doesn't want to eat it fine but nope that's it for the night. She can always decide to eat it later. She may be past a growth spurt and slowing down her growth so she's not hungry, chances are that in a couple of weeks she'll be eating like she used to but kids bodies to lots of growing, then stopping, adapting to growth etc. so their needs vary. I would not turn it into a battle of wills, don't eat if you don't want to BUT there is no desert/snack either (which is just a natural consquence, if you are not hungry for food your not hungry period)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:02 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• my daughter did the same thing but she would rather drink then eat i asked the doctor and he said that theres nutthing to worry about its a stage they go through cause now my daughter eats everything
    Tabitha112

Answer by Tabitha112 at 1:25 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• its just a stage..i personally wouldnt cut out snacks tho..i mean, as long as theyre healthy snacks..whats the harm..maybe nothing past 3-330pm..as for night snacks, my daughter has ALWAYS had something before bed..usually 9 times outta 10 its a yogurt..or banana..we eat supper at 5-530, bath or shower is from 7-730 then right after she gets dressed she has her yogurt, then bed between 8-9
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:23 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• My 3 year old daughter has been doing the same thing. Our doctor said this is fine as long as she is eating her other 2 meals. There are nights when my daughter doesn't eat anything before bedtime because she refuses to eat and wants something such as a cookies and we say no!
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 4:05 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• mine eat well one day and nothing the next- I would not cut out snacks- ask hubby how he'd feel going to bed hungry because he eats smaller meals...

give the lil one veryveryveryvery (to the umpteenth power) small portions and later let her choose ahealthy snack- mine really love a spoon full of peanut butter and she gets filled up on that-
    I also offer apples, yogurt, cheese or whatever happens to be healthy and easy in the house

I DO NOT fix any more meals-- mine will not eat dinner then ask for ramen noodles later... does not happen...
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 7:02 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• also, one of my nutritionist professors told us that making a child "clean his or her plate" is what makes their lil bellis grow and inhibits the "full" button later in life... blame our parents for making us finish ok..it's their fault we can't lose the poundage...lol
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 7:05 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• We have a very up and down eater - sometimes he'll eat the pattern off the plate and other times he's a grazing nibbler. Our doctor said as long as he is getting food that is nutritious throughout the day he'll be fine - it is their way of stabilizing their metabolism during a growth stage (physically and mentally). He knows which snacks he can have if he has missed a meal (fruit, yogurt, milk) and we have learned that at supper time he eats first and then gets to drink, because sometimes he'll fill up on juice and won't have room for food. A neat trick if you can do it is use the Fruit Plus juices that give them a serving of fruits and veggies in each drink box - that way at least they are getting nutrients their bodies need even if it isn't a full meal at a meal time. We don't bribe or punish with food - food is for eating that is all. Just my IMHO.
    mystic-mom

Answer by mystic-mom at 12:52 AM on Feb. 4, 2009

• don't feel bad if she is eating thru the day my son goes thru those phase and is frustrating but try smaller portions very tiny to see if she asks for more that work for me and my doctor told me to try this if it gets to the point that she doesn't want to eat just get everyone at the table serve everyone except for her and just act normal dont look at her or ask if there is anything wrong just wait for her to ask for hers then you give her a tiny portion to start you can also have her help you prepare dessert and while doing it point out the fact that is only for the ones who eats their dinner...good luck and God bless
    4reasons2smile

Answer by 4reasons2smile at 6:23 PM on Feb. 10, 2009