what do i give my 10 month son for a really bad cough?

my son has had a bad cough for about a week now. and now its gotten so bad that he cant sllep at night. the doctors tell me to to wait it out and not to give him any medication. are there any home remedies that may work? please help...thanks

gsoto1031

Asked by gsoto1031 at 9:18 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, there is! I don't like giving my 3 year old medication and somebody on cafemom suggested boiling down ginger and garlic in a little bit of water until it was dissolved into a thick "syrup." I added a little honey and gave my daughter 2 teaspoons full after a week of coughing all night. And, it worked! She didn't cough at all that night and slept all night. This is good for all ages and completely safe.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 9:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• my kids have asthma and we have had LOTS of coughing, i am a life time user of vicks and vapor bath right before bed ( make sure to wipe it off b4 u go out), keep the door shut the whole time you are filling the tub. this will make the bathroom steamy, then give them the vapor bath and rub them down with the baby (vicks) mentholatum rub make sure to get their feet, and put on a couple pr of socks. this has always calmed down the coughs for us. he needs to get that junk out, the steam will break it up, so he probly will cough alot during the bath. mine always slept like babies, putting vicks on their feet is an old cure for sleepless nights, idk why but it does work for us,,, Good Luck Momma, hope your lil one gets better soon!!!
    30andstillgrowi

Answer by 30andstillgrowi at 9:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• i agree with the 1st answer for a child over one but please remember NO honey for a child under 1! it can cause really bad food poisoning! even if u read the label of honey it will tell u that! but other than that u can get vicks vapor rub and rub a glob of it on the bottom of ur childs feet then cover with socks- no lie- within 15 minutes my sons cough was gone
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 2, 2009