I wasnt having a problem with my son sleeping he turned 2 and it seems like everything changed in that week. I can't seem to get him to go to bed at night anymore. I put him in bed he gets back out again, this can go on for hours it doesnt matter how tired he is, I tried putting him to bed later at night and everything, our bedtime routine hasn't changed one bit how do I get him to go to bed like he used to?

Mandie183

Asked by Mandie183 at 9:20 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I feel for ya mom, mine are older but still have sleepless nights, i remember those times too. maybe you should change his routine a lil, since he is getting bigger. i use click art, printshop etc, i put pics of our bedtime routine in random order and had ds (11 now) help me put them in order, i taped one to his wall and one on the fridge too. it didnt change back over night but he liked feeling like "HE" had control over bedtime. is he a strong-willed child?? maybe try limiting his naptime if he has one. make sure he has some sort of exercise, like maybe have him watch a sing along and dance with the tape. ds and i used to dance together, i got some exercise for me too. if you have had his 2 yr check i would call the doctor and ask a nurse...... Good Luck Momma,,,,, hope things get better for you and your lil one!!!
    30andstillgrowi

Answer by 30andstillgrowi at 9:31 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• OMG! that's what im goin through now. My daughter turned two in novemeber..and since than..she just does not want to obbey her bed time. And when she does sleep, she has night mares...Idk what to do :/
    chakerilynns

Answer by chakerilynns at 9:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Putting him down later is not the answer. As he gets more and more tired from missing sleep night after night, he will have a harder and harder time falling asleep. He will also wake more easily in the night and be more likely to wake up early in the morning. YIPES.

I'd suggest putting him in bed earlier. You are still trying to get him to fall asleep at the same time as he used to. The amount of sleep he needs didn't change - he simply discovered his own mind and realized that he can do what he wants. He's two.

The only thing I've heard that works is the "silent return to bed" trick. You simply take him back to bed, kicking and screaming if necessary, without saying a word and without looking him in the eye if possible. It can take nights and nights but it's supposed to work.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:51 PM on Feb. 2, 2009