Trouble getting breastmilk back

I DONT KNOW WHERE TO PUT THIS SO I PUT IT HERE BC OF MY SONS AGE:

So I`ve been pumping 6-8 times a day for about 3 weeks and still no breastmilk. My son was 2-3 weeks old when I stopped pumping milk for him and now he`s 12 weeks and I`ve been pumping again since he was 9 weeks. Still nothing. I went to my drs today to see if he could prescribe me something to help bring it back and he told me no. He said if the milk is gone then its gone. I know otherwise just from researching online. What should I do? (PS now I have a Madela double pump that I`m using every 2-3 hours or so 10-15 mins at a time)

amygirl23

Asked by amygirl23 at 9:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why did you stop pumping? Were you breastfeeding regularly or did you stop breastfeeding? If you stopped breastfeeding then you might not have established a supply enough to restart pumping. If you continued breastfeeding and still are then you just might be one of the women that pumping does not work for. I was one of those. I could have fed a dozen babies from the breast but was never able to pump a drop.
    efsuermann

Answer by efsuermann at 9:32 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• There is a supplement at Whole Foods market that I take called Lactation Blend and also Mothers Milk Organic tea that has helped my supply. I don't know it might be different if your supply is gone all together. You can try though. Good Luck.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:47 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• There are some medications out there that can help b/c their side effect is to create lactation. They are Reglan and Domperidone. Mom's who adopt use these to help create a milk supply that they didn't have to begin with. I would do a little research and see what else you can figure out.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:52 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Can you get the baby to latch on to your breast? If so, latch him and let him nurse whenever possible. The suckling will stimulate milk.

I too am a little confused... are you nursing him and just having trouble pumping, or are you trying to relactate?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:23 AM on Feb. 3, 2009