Will I be able to get ssi with my iep records ?

I try hard

me123123

Asked by me123123 at 2:30 AM on Jul. 20, 2012 in Adult Children (18+)

• That's a start. SS will always say NO & then expect you to get a lawyer to fight for it, or to just give up. Depending on your disability, you may still be able to find work. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:21 AM on Jul. 20, 2012

• It depends on what you IEP says. My niece has an IEP that says learning disability. That will not get you SSI.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:53 AM on Jul. 20, 2012

• No.
    They'll need and want much more documentation.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:41 AM on Jul. 20, 2012

• Ok,ok
    1st of all,are you a mom?
    I'm assuming you're like 18,correct?
    What is your disability?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:07 AM on Jul. 20, 2012

• That is one thing that they MAY look at but on just your IEP alone, no you will not get SSI. They will make their own evaluations with their own doctors.

Just a side note, SSI is INCOME BASED. I used to argue with them often that what my husband made did not change the fact that my son was disabled until one finally explained it to me.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:59 AM on Jul. 20, 2012

• SpiritedWitch

It also depends on the severity of the disability. If your child is MR, you are likely to get more than if your child has another issue as well.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:44 AM on Jul. 20, 2012

• As a teacher, I have been asked to speak on behalf of a student whose parents were applying for SSI disability for him. It was not all that was required, though. They also needed reports from his doctor and psychologist.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:46 AM on Jul. 20, 2012

• No. You will need much more documentation. If an IEP shows just shows a slight learning disability, that will not get SSI. For my oldest I had to fill out a checklist of what he could/could not do and then have it signed by his pediatrician. I don't remember exactly because it was years ago, but an IEP alone will not suffice.

Answer by missanc at 12:13 PM on Jul. 20, 2012

• I have no clue since we have no idea why you would be applying for SSI
    Did you get SSI while under your parent's care?
    If so those records should help you.

You will want to consult a lawyer who handles SSI work (not all do) Many will give aa free initial evaluation.Then you can go from there
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:40 PM on Jul. 20, 2012

• It depends on what you IEP says
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 3:54 PM on Jul. 27, 2012