10 hr drive and an ALMOST 4 year old

We are traveling tomorrow, we used to make this trip once every few months. Last time was March- she did okay but not great. Since then even going to the grocery she wants to know when she can get out of her seat, when will we be home LOL.

I forsee this trip being one with many stretch our legs stops and headphones.

I have a ton of things packed for fun but she doesnt stay on task well - leaving really early so she will HOPEFULLY sleep.

What do you do on long trips to keep your preschooler occupied?

luvmygrandbaby

Asked by luvmygrandbaby at 8:46 AM on Jul. 20, 2012 in Travel

• We got a portable DVD player that plugs into the car's cigarette lighter. It was a dual screen one. It also came with preloaded video games, much like the ones we played back in the 80's. My son played games and my dd watched movies. After the movie was over we did a bathroom/snack stop. We were able to go about 2 hours before stopping.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:50 AM on Jul. 20, 2012

• does she get into tactile tings?
    squishie balls, puppets (small finger ones-as to not block your rear view mirror)
    etch a sketch- or those magnet drawing boards with 'pen'
    small books with flaps, and or with those annoying sound buttons
    read some books before hand about traveling, adventure, vacation car trips, tesure hunts- you can babble on about them later in car
    favorite small pillow= cram behind her head or to the side- and a blanket to cuddle with
    kid music (if she enjoys singing favorite songs) or soft music that she could nap too- or just zone out to
    snacks that are car freindly

toys with will fall, and if just you driving, you will not be able to get them, have bag of tricks in reach to hand back items
    tricj bag should be up front, if she gets all the tricks at once- you will be screwed five blocks from home
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:21 AM on Jul. 20, 2012

• you are brave!

can you plan to drive for at least half when she will be asleep?
    fiatpax

• also, can one of you sit in the back with her? when ds was young, but old enough to voice his issue, he was lonely back there! we always did 'backseat duty', while the other drove...and had control of the music.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:34 AM on Jul. 20, 2012

• Is there any way to leave in the middle of the night? I think you have about everything you can do to keep her entertained, so I hope lots of stopping will do the trick!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:04 AM on Jul. 20, 2012

• Go to the library without him or her and get a ton of books (lots of lightweight ones) and don't let him see them til it is road trip time. Bring dry erase games, blanket, pillow, snacks, stop at rest areas to stretch the legs, read read read on the way or get some audio cds too at the library!!!
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 9:27 AM on Jul. 20, 2012

• When we take our 8 hour trip we try to leave at night around midnite or 1. My husband goes to sleep early and the kids and I stay awake as late as we can, so that way my husband can drive, and the rest of us will sleep most of the way.
    JTROX

Answer by JTROX at 9:32 AM on Jul. 20, 2012

• games, books, puzzles, movies, and lots of stopping.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:50 AM on Jul. 20, 2012

• LOL all you have mentioned just about everything we do
    We have dvd player, mobigo, ipad
    went to library how funny that was mentioned
    we have the magnadoodle
    headphones
    I packed a tin lunch box type thing with little things she hasnt seen yet - a little board book, stickers a note pad etc (dllar tree stuff)

No not just me, heavens no fiat- I am NOT that brave LOL
    I will sit in back.

luvmygrandbaby

Comment by luvmygrandbaby (original poster) at 10:35 AM on Jul. 20, 2012

• Portable dvd player..
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 5:18 PM on Jul. 23, 2012