I cant get daughter to drink out of a cup AT ALL...

We have now bought 2 different types of cups and i dont know if it is just too fast for her or what but she pushed it away and fights everytime i try to get er to try drinking out of it ... she is 8 months old. I even tried buying a different kind of juice that i know she would like (apple banana) to see if she would take to it if she liked what was coming out of it being something different... how did u get your baby to switch

LuvsDanika

Asked by LuvsDanika at 9:54 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There is no rush. Just buy a variety and leave them around filled with water. Then she can play with them without any pressure form you.
    Yes, I know that all the "experts" say to get your baby off the bottle by 1. Like everything else to do with babies, this is a GUIDE, not an exact cut off date. You need to judge how your daughter is doing with a cup and how she will do without a bottle. If she makes the switch at 10 months, great. If she makes the switch at 14 months, great.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:05 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• We have to use cups with silicone tops. Like a Nuby or Fisher Price cup. They don't require suction just pressure. See if maybe this helps.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:57 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• do they spill? that was the other thing about the one we got her, its the gerber soft tip ones and when she bangs it on things after i give up it splatters everywhere
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 9:58 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• They don't leak when they are tipped or thrown on the floor.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:00 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• We tried the gerber soft tip but she didn't like them. Also the born free cups work great too.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:01 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• well i will try them, i knew i should have gone for the cheaper ones... dumb me...
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 10:02 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• maybe once she gets the idea she will use the other ones i bought
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 10:03 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I found the fisher price ones at dollar general and they are the generic of the Nuby and have lids which I like. They were also $2 versus the more expensive brands. We actually have a few of each. Good luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:04 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• We started letting our 8 month old play with his to get used to it. He likes to chew on the latex nipple "NUK" (feels good cause he's teething), but he hasn't got the suction part. I've heard Nuby's are good, but are messy/leeky so we haven't tried those yet. Let me know what works; I may try these suggestions too...lol!
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:05 PM on Feb. 2, 2009