Do your kids read for fun? What are their favorite books?

I thought other moms might like to share their kids favorite books or ideas for reading. I wanted to share JanBannan's diary (which is free and has short little entries every few days that often has a lesson. Check it out at www.cjkidz.com (JanBannan's blog). Or share your ideas for getting kids to read.
momjs

momjs

Asked by momjs at 10:00 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my daughter is 1 almost 2 and she loves dora
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 10:00 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• my 8 yr old son loves dan gutman books. also jeff kinny's "the diary of a wimpy kid" series. Also, guiness book of world records is a big hit.
    moebonner

Answer by moebonner at 10:09 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My son has always loved to read. When he was around 7 or 8 he loved the Spiderwick Chronicles. He couldn't wait for a new book to come out and he would read it in one day.

He is now 12 and although he thinks he is cool, a soon to be MLB player and God's gift to women....LOL.....one of his prized possessions is still his library. I buy him a hardback book for every gift giving occassion and he loves displaying them in his room.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 10:10 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My daughters love to read, Their favorite right now is Green Eggs and Ham.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 10:14 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Right now our house favorite is " Muhammad Ali Chanpion of the World" by Jonah Winter and Francois Roca. I have to admit its a pretty cool book and as an adult I get giggles especially the part that reads " and God said IS THIS ALL THERE IS TO A BOXER? (next pg.) and the heavens opened up and there appeared..... Cassius Clay" The graphics are cool and now they know about Jack Johnson (although they can't rem. his name), Joe Louis, and Sonny Liston.
    My daughter is more into the bycicle one (yes we're doing the AA month theme b/c my preschooler came home with some VERY mixed ideas as Inaguration Day and MLK kinda came toghether and all of a sudden everyone was Obabama or MLK Jr. -- it was pretty funny.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:16 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• my son loves the choose your own adventure series, and the Magic Treehouse books. he reads every night at bedtime to fall asleep.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 11:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My son is getting better at reading. His favorite series is Captin Underpants. He does read everyday for a program in school and he enjoys it. I try to buy him a book often.
    pambo

Answer by pambo at 8:27 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• My son is not a reader but he does like the Diary of A Wimpy Kid books and the world record books as well. He'll read StarWars too but it takes him a while.
    InsanitySpeaks

Answer by InsanitySpeaks at 1:55 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I am glad to hear so many kids are reading. Sometimes the trick is finding out what they are interested in....and guiding them in that direction. Not everybody likes the same books or has the same interest. Reading little bits together is great bonding time. I have to admit, I made up my own stories and often told them at bedtime, while the kids were riding in the car, or when I ran out of activities yet wanted to keep them busy for short period of time. As the kids got older, they often asked to hear the same story retold or rembered their favorite.
    Thanks for sharing your favorite books. Maybe other moms will find a great read for their child based on your suggestions.
    momjs www.cjkidz.com
    momjs

Answer by momjs at 6:35 PM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I try so hard to not stick to the favorite books. Yes, they have them, but I want them to explore each and every book in our house several times. We have a couple hundred, and I want each one to be used, while I don't want the Lightening McQueen books and "cat in the hat' to be the only thing that are able to get interested in.
    Besides the ones I mentioned, they like Thomas the Train, and anything with baby animals. So cute.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 11:27 AM on Feb. 4, 2009