Finding an apartment next week and moving for the first time ever. super nervous and need some words of wisdom and support

I've lived in the same house for 23 years. I'm a single mom of almost 3 year old boys. we cannot live with my parents anymore, its really really really not working out.
my good friend is moving up here (washington) from florida and were going to be roommates. she is visiting next week and we're hoping to sign a lease during that time.
(i know i know, dont live with your best friend. ive heard some 'horror stories' but honestly, anything is better than living here and i cannot afford it on my own.)

I packed up some of our stuff today. stuff we dont use/christmas stuff etc. which has made me anxious.
i'm nervous about living on my own. i don't know anything about it. no one prepared me for the real world so here i am trying to figure it out as i go. and on top of that ive never ever moved before and my family isn't being very supportive. i'm doing it all on my own.

we will not have a couch or kitchen table when we move. we have, beds, book shelves, and our belongings.
i'm not even sure how we're goin to move our beds, i have a tiny chevy aveo.

I'm just kind of scared, and overwhelmed and I don't know where to start or what to do. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for me or information or i don't even know I just know I'm nervous and I wish I had someone helping me

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 4:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2012 in Home & Garden

• Well you're probably going to have to find a friend with a truck or rent a Uhaul for 19.99 plus gas and tax.

Living on your own is awesome. Keep good records of bills, keep up to date on all of them, if you think you are going to be late CALL them and ask for an extension to protect your credit. Be organized, pick up stuff at yard sales (it's summer time you can decorate for cheap) and the goodwill. You may not have been on your own yet but you're a mom so you have more common sense than most.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:23 PM on Jul. 20, 2012

• You'll be fine. Independence and autonomy are what grown ups are supposed to have. Take a deep breath and plunge through it
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 4:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2012

• First, congratulations! It's scary and exciting all at the same time to be living on your own. I didn't live 100% on my own til I was 29, so you're way ahead of the game. Yardsales are a great place to pick up used furniture, and you can also find your local Freecycle group through Yahoo. Plenty of people out there are looking to get rid of stuff without charging anyone.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:42 PM on Jul. 20, 2012

• Well congratualtions. Just rent a smal UHaul. Independence is a great thing. You will love it.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 12:50 PM on Jul. 22, 2012