Is anyone else sickened by the Colorado coverage?

Random celebrities making statements, as if they matter. That same survivor who is obviously still in shock being interviewed left and right, and every time, she invents more facts, then realizes half way through, she's said things she can't possibly know (like ages of victims, etc). Increased security at movie theaters around the world as if this is some sort of organized terrorist attack. And, of course, the usual "oh, no, guns are evil, the guns made him do it" If anyone hasn't noticed - his apt is rigged to explode and he threw a gas canister before he fired a single shot - neither of those things involve firearms.

It's a tragic enough event as it is without sensationalizing it and exaggerating every aspect of it. Why can't it simply be acknowledged, with empathy for the victims and families, and disdain for the shooter, without trying to make it something it's not?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:06 PM on Jul. 20, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• I haven't had the TV all day on purpose... I can't stand all the "fluff" that goes on when stuff like this happens!!

Ohh and Welcome back ;o)
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:08 PM on Jul. 20, 2012

• The only thing I know is people like to copy cat, so that's one reason they're upping security at the theaters.. As for the other stuff, I haven't watched any of the news coverage since this morning. I probably won't until it calms down.

I'm so sad for all of the families, and pray they can get through this, but it's going to take a long time, if ever.... I think turning off the news is the best thing to do if it's bothering you.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:09 PM on Jul. 20, 2012

• Media sensationalism. The media is having orgasms over this stuff, as usual.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:09 PM on Jul. 20, 2012

• Ohh and Welcome back ;o)

Thanks - Haven't left, just been busy - we're half way to a new bathroom (insert half a happy dance)
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:10 PM on Jul. 20, 2012

• Im with Crafty Ive not been watching,,,the whole thing sickens me.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 10:11 PM on Jul. 20, 2012

• It's more exciting to talk about than the weather...and everyone is sick of the election crap ;)

It is sad-they show the same interviews over and over again, and worse- this morning-( I havn't had the tv on tonight) they kept bringing up Columbine...REALLY? What is the need for that?
    It's just what the news/ media DOES
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:12 PM on Jul. 20, 2012

• I haven't had the TV on all day because of it. I saw the news on my Facebook news feed, from a news station I follow. I don't want to watch all the bullshit that comes with something so horrible.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:12 PM on Jul. 20, 2012

• * I was wondering where you were- almost posted a question about it last night!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:13 PM on Jul. 20, 2012

• That's just another reason why I don't watch the news. I read my news off the net at my own discretion.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:15 PM on Jul. 20, 2012

• i think, in a nutshell, that's what someone just said to Piers Morgan (bless his heart..). the constant and instant media-storming of every jot&tittle someone says or thinks gets blown out of proportion..it is sick, NP. its like this with everything, though. people used to be too busy, tending to their own lives, to worry and gossip about what happened 7states away. with streaming-everything on every device on the market, the public doesn't miss a thing..and its become a habit, to always be 'in the know', whether its gossip or opinion, or fact. why can't we just mourn those lost, and comfort those hurting? and let the officials do their jobs? its sick and disgusting, for sure, that the media/public-at-large thinks they have a right to know every detail, thus forming 'solutions' to this crime and others. (Zimmerman case, for example)
    anyhoo, those are my jumbled thoughts.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:15 PM on Jul. 20, 2012