Pacifier Problem!!

My DD is 16months old, she is addicted to the soothie pacifier with the little stuffed animal attached. Well the problem is she is now biting threw the pacifier and I have to take them from her. She had 8 and we are down to 1. Well I wouldn't care to buy more but they range in price from 13-33 dollars. What do I do to make her stop biting them and ruining them?? Do I need to take them away and only let her have it at bed time? And if so how do I do this?? She is ADDICTED to them....and will SCREAM and CRY till she has 2 with her at all times...HELP ME PLEASE!!!

ToberzMama

Asked by ToberzMama at 10:13 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• what i did was my daughter was 18 months and it was friday i just took them away right in front of her and say bye bye no more your a big girl only babys need them and when she went to bed she screamed her head off just let your daugher sream dont give in and i promise you it will get better just let her cry she will stop
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 10:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I just can't let her cry. I just can't. She had surgery on her Skull at 8 months of age and EVERYONE has babyed her soooo bad. I just got her to start sleeping in her crib like 2 weeks ago and we are still getting up in the middle or the night and SCREAMING like someone is killing her. So I HATE to hear her cry like she did when she had surgery. Its to hard for me. I didn't know if they make stronger pacifiers or Somehow I can take it away during the day and only let her have it at night......Im sorry Im such a loser...lol....Her Crying like that breaks my heart and takes me back to that day they took her way from me to get surgery......:-(
    ToberzMama

Answer by ToberzMama at 10:27 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• she's 16 months old..that's way too old to still be having a binky. it can create bad dental problems, also why they say take the bottle away early(like a yr) you need to just take it away cold turkey..it'll only be a couple of days of crying, but i promise it will stop. i took mine away from my dd's at 10 months. i did binky and bottle at the same time. it only lasted a couple of days..i understand you're afraid becuase she had surgery, but like you said, it was 8 months ago! just do it!
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 10:36 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My dd did this same thing. GUESS WHAT MOMMIE!!!! NO more 13.-14 doller paci's..... THERE GONE and I think she is telling you that it's time to let them pass. THROW THEM OUT BEFORE SHE CHOKES ON A WHOLE PIECE......
    racingmomma

Answer by racingmomma at 10:39 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I agree, she probably needs to be binky broken, even if you just wean her off it, start out by taking it first thing in the morning and not giving it back until sleepy time. But definately start weaning her from it, she may cry but babies are suppose to cry, your the mom, you need to put your foot down. You know she's not being hurt, but she's just angry about not having it. And like racingmomma said, how would you feel if she chokes on a piece. It's better to listen to her scream and cry than to not ever hear those cries again.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 11:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• hang in there and do what you know you need to do...............for her not you!! it is time to let it go!! she will cry as long as she thinks you will give in and then it will be over. she is long past the time for a binkie. it is no longer safe for her to have them if she is chewing them to pieces!! if she is " down to the last one" i would say "when this one is broken your not getting any more !! binkies are for babies and you are a big girl now" and stick to it. even at this age they understand what that means and it will be no suprise when you say " oops its broken! no more binkies for you remember?" you are not a loser just a mom who wants to make her baby happy. but happieness cant come before safty! they only make them so strong and if your child is like mine she will only take the one kind anyway. if you are worried about the safty of her crying talk to her dr before you start and see what he says
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 4:42 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• my 13m old is addicted to them TOO!! I have started to take them away 1 time a day like naps and bed time those are the only time she gets them anymore. so I started to take them away 1 nap at a time. I just started and she seems to be doing ok.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• i would just take them away, she doesnt need to be on a pacifer she is not a baby anymore, she is a toddler, how would you feel if she choked on pieces of the latex or silicone?
    Please just dont buy them anymore, its not worth it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• I think you should do what YOU think is best. You are her mother... many parents chose to do or allow their child to do far worse things. A pacifier isn't the end of the world. Though I would recommend not letting her have it at bed time and nap time, especially since she is able to bite through it. As morbid as it sounds, wouldn't you rather hear her cry because you took it away than have her silenced forever because she choked on it while in bed and you weren't there to help her?

Good luck with everything.
    sarah6183

Answer by sarah6183 at 11:56 AM on Feb. 3, 2009

• you need get strong she will get over it shes way tooold for a bobo
    BebaGina

Answer by BebaGina at 9:49 AM on Feb. 4, 2009