Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 Bumps

have a friend who wants to release her baby to me at the moment the baby is in fostercare

the birthom has court july 31 and she wants me there to tell the judge that i who she wants to raise her baby should i hire a lawyer

Answer Question

Asked by honeybunny123 at 12:38 AM on Jul. 21, 2012 in Adoption

Level 2 (7 Credits)
Answers (14)
  • I just re-read this. You don't say adoption at all. She wants the baby released into your care so that you can raise him/her until.....? Until she's able to? I'm not sure you'll get the baby at all. If she has an open CPS case, you need to have her tell the CW that they need to do a home study on you. Is she wanting you to adopt the baby? There just seems to be more to the story than I am understanding. Let us know how it goes. I'm curious as to how it will turn out.

    Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:43 AM on Jul. 23, 2012

  • It's unclear if she wants a permanent adoption or just foster care from what you wrote. It sounds though that since the court is already involved, that you are referring to appointing you temporary guardians via a Guardian Ad Litem (lawyer appointed for the baby). You would not need a lawyer for a temporary appointment. I was a temp guardian and did not need a home study done at all. Just signed a few papers. If it were to be more longterm, the process may involve an evaluation though. If it becomes adoption, then definitely consult a lawyer with family law specialty. Shop around for lawyers too because not all of them are good. is a good site for quick questions and shopping for lawyers and quotes.

    Answer by hellokittykat at 4:34 AM on Jul. 23, 2012

  • You don't say if this court date is for termination which I suspect it is since the first court date is within a day or two of the child coming into custody. If it is I doubt that the judge will look favorably on you. He will wonder why you didn't step up when the baby first came into care. Usually they are in care a minimum of 6 months before they go for termination and he'll want to know where you were. They also want to know how you plan on supporting the child. Do you plan on letting mom visit with the baby outside of the agency, etc. What are your plans for the future? You need a lot of answers before walking into the court.


    Answer by baconbits at 12:07 PM on Jul. 25, 2012

  • Yes

    Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 1:37 AM on Aug. 7, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.