Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 Bumps

have a friend who wants to release her baby to me at the moment the baby is in fostercare

the birthom has court july 31 and she wants me there to tell the judge that i who she wants to raise her baby should i hire a lawyer

Answer Question

Asked by honeybunny123 at 12:38 AM on Jul. 21, 2012 in Adoption

Level 2 (7 Credits)
Answers (14)
  • Yes

    Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 1:37 AM on Aug. 7, 2012

  • You don't say if this court date is for termination which I suspect it is since the first court date is within a day or two of the child coming into custody. If it is I doubt that the judge will look favorably on you. He will wonder why you didn't step up when the baby first came into care. Usually they are in care a minimum of 6 months before they go for termination and he'll want to know where you were. They also want to know how you plan on supporting the child. Do you plan on letting mom visit with the baby outside of the agency, etc. What are your plans for the future? You need a lot of answers before walking into the court.


    Answer by baconbits at 12:07 PM on Jul. 25, 2012

  • It's unclear if she wants a permanent adoption or just foster care from what you wrote. It sounds though that since the court is already involved, that you are referring to appointing you temporary guardians via a Guardian Ad Litem (lawyer appointed for the baby). You would not need a lawyer for a temporary appointment. I was a temp guardian and did not need a home study done at all. Just signed a few papers. If it were to be more longterm, the process may involve an evaluation though. If it becomes adoption, then definitely consult a lawyer with family law specialty. Shop around for lawyers too because not all of them are good. is a good site for quick questions and shopping for lawyers and quotes.

    Answer by hellokittykat at 4:34 AM on Jul. 23, 2012

  • I just re-read this. You don't say adoption at all. She wants the baby released into your care so that you can raise him/her until.....? Until she's able to? I'm not sure you'll get the baby at all. If she has an open CPS case, you need to have her tell the CW that they need to do a home study on you. Is she wanting you to adopt the baby? There just seems to be more to the story than I am understanding. Let us know how it goes. I'm curious as to how it will turn out.

    Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:43 AM on Jul. 23, 2012

  • Yes hire an attorney if this is a long term situation which will lead to adoption. The lines have to be clear. Is she picking you because she thinks you will bypass court orders and let her have access to this child? If so I would stay out of it.

    Answer by booklover545 at 3:12 PM on Jul. 22, 2012

  • I second what Doodlebopfan said. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it will help if you go through the process to get approved as foster parents.

    Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:52 AM on Jul. 21, 2012

  • She is wanting to sign a termination of parental rights? And you are planning on adopting?
    Yes, you need a lawyer.

    Answer by meooma at 10:01 AM on Jul. 21, 2012

  • If the child is born and the baby is taken into foster care immediately from the hospital, the bio mom can suggest you as a placement, but that doesn't guarantee you as placement. The baby may be put with a licensed foster home until a home study can be done on you and your family. This could take months and you would not be allowed visits with the child as you are not the bio parent. She should make her wishes known to the judge, but that doesn't mean that you will get the baby.

    If she does want to sign her rights away and have you to adopt the child, you need an attorney. Call and find out what your/her options are asap. PS-Do you want to adopt her child? What will your relationship be after the chidl is born? Are you good friends now? You may need some counseling in this area to make sure you are ready for this big decision.

    Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:25 AM on Jul. 21, 2012

  • Definitely

    Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:43 AM on Jul. 21, 2012

  • yes of course you do

    Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 1:08 AM on Jul. 21, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.