Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 Bumps

have a friend who wants to release her baby to me at the moment the baby is in fostercare

the birthom has court july 31 and she wants me there to tell the judge that i who she wants to raise her baby should i hire a lawyer

Answer Question

Asked by honeybunny123 at 12:38 AM on Jul. 21, 2012 in Adoption

Level 2 (7 Credits)
Answers (14)
  • If the child is born and the baby is taken into foster care immediately from the hospital, the bio mom can suggest you as a placement, but that doesn't guarantee you as placement. The baby may be put with a licensed foster home until a home study can be done on you and your family. This could take months and you would not be allowed visits with the child as you are not the bio parent. She should make her wishes known to the judge, but that doesn't mean that you will get the baby.

    If she does want to sign her rights away and have you to adopt the child, you need an attorney. Call and find out what your/her options are asap. PS-Do you want to adopt her child? What will your relationship be after the chidl is born? Are you good friends now? You may need some counseling in this area to make sure you are ready for this big decision.

    Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:25 AM on Jul. 21, 2012

  • if you are already approved through fostercare system- this will help
    are you?

    you need a lawyer

    Answer by fiatpax at 12:44 AM on Jul. 21, 2012

  • Yes hire an attorney if this is a long term situation which will lead to adoption. The lines have to be clear. Is she picking you because she thinks you will bypass court orders and let her have access to this child? If so I would stay out of it.

    Answer by booklover545 at 3:12 PM on Jul. 22, 2012

  • I just re-read this. You don't say adoption at all. She wants the baby released into your care so that you can raise him/her until.....? Until she's able to? I'm not sure you'll get the baby at all. If she has an open CPS case, you need to have her tell the CW that they need to do a home study on you. Is she wanting you to adopt the baby? There just seems to be more to the story than I am understanding. Let us know how it goes. I'm curious as to how it will turn out.

    Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:43 AM on Jul. 23, 2012

  • yes

    Answer by But_Mommie at 12:39 AM on Jul. 21, 2012

  • Yes, you should have an attorney to advise you on what will need to happen.

    Answer by gdiamante at 12:41 AM on Jul. 21, 2012

  • She is wanting to sign a termination of parental rights? And you are planning on adopting?
    Yes, you need a lawyer.

    Answer by meooma at 10:01 AM on Jul. 21, 2012

  • I second what Doodlebopfan said. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it will help if you go through the process to get approved as foster parents.

    Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:52 AM on Jul. 21, 2012

  • yes of course you do

    Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 1:08 AM on Jul. 21, 2012

  • Definitely

    Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:43 AM on Jul. 21, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.