How are you creating a better childhood for your children than the one that you had?

hgibsonorc

Asked by hgibsonorc at 10:19 PM on Feb. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have a job and I'm not on welfare. Though I feel horribly guilty about not being a stay at home mom like my mother was.
    kryssie78

Answer by kryssie78 at 10:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I don't lie too them like my parents lied to me, I verbally and physically value their self esteem and make it obvious yet hold them responsible for age appropriate misdoings. My kids are young adult and teens, three kids. My husband's never been a hands on father, I've raised them.
    Anonymous

• oh kryssie78, years and years ago (I'm the second responder) I felt that mothers whose partner's/husbands worked were bad mothers if they themselves worked too. Then as my baby grew, my first, I met moms who absolutely had to work even with a partner working to make ends meet. And, some moms I've known to be the best moms they could be just had to work for adult time instead of being with kids all day. You are doing your best, hope your guilt stops. I'm sure your child knows they're loved by you in different ways. You'll for sure know this as they grow and stand up for you taking care of them in necessary different ways. We all do the best we can in this wild world.
    Anonymous

• My boyfriend and I are going to make a better attempt at being good parents than my parents did. They were a little more self-absorbed than we are.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:33 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• my husband and i both came from broken homes so we made a vow to work things out and try not to argue infront of the kids if we think it might get hot. We are raising our kids in CHURCH, we teach them that God loves them and one day God will use them to help teach others about HIM, We also teach them that hard work helps everone. We also pray for them and we ask GOD that when the time is right that HE will send all 3 kids a Godly mate. one who loves the LOrd and one who will respect the other. on FRiday nights, we have family night, we play games or we all (dad included) makes cookies, or we all watch a movie. sometimes, i will take the girls and we will have a girlfriend nite( out to eat and a movie,or shopin) dad take the boy (19 months) and rides the 4wheeler or tractor or goes out to eat with him. take the time for each kid. they need that.
    jesussaves424

Answer by jesussaves424 at 10:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• Great answers! I was raised in a broken home as well. My mom was a single mom with 3 young girls by the age of 22. We were extremely poor and my mom worked a ton during the day and went to school at night. So, babysitters basically raised us. We ate disguesting foods like hot dogs, mac n cheese, ramen noodles, etc which left us with no energy and problems with being overweight. I am the first person in my family since my great grandmother that actually is with the father of my children, doing well financially, college educated and a SAHM. I vow to raise my kids differently in a stable and active household..and to feed them food that will actually nourish their bodies and minds! I also have an extremely close relationship with my daughter and show her affection daily...something that my mom just didn't have time to do.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 10:44 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I went through college and received my Masters degree to have a good paying job so I could support my son and do things for him that I didn't get (like summer vacations)! I do have guilt about not being a SAHM, but I feel I am a better mom for having my "alone/adult" time.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 11:02 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I was raised when children were to be seen and not heard. My mom was always busy making our home look perfect. My stepfather I feared. I am married to a man who adores me and our four children. My husband and I live a happy marriage, spend quality time with our children, I am a SAHM, we enjoy being parents and being with our children. My husband and I both enjoy playing with our children

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 11:17 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I cant say I am, but I can only happen they grow up thinking they had a great childhood. We were extremely poor growing up but I never knew it. Our family isnt poor now and I still want my kids growing up knowing the meaning of a hard earned dollar but never knowing if we ever had to struggle.
    legalmom343

Answer by legalmom343 at 11:20 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• I had a nice childhood. If my daughter has the same, I'll be happy.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:00 AM on Feb. 3, 2009